Feelings are Fatel

"Ah, I am blessed to have the Grand Duchess Margaux Romanov here," Grindelwald jeered, smiling at Rosier. "Join me, my darling. Imagine a world where you can take your rightful place on the Russian throne. A new dynasty created in your image. The Bolsheviks will cower in fear at the sight of you. And Rasputin's curse? All but gone with you at my side." I took a few steps down towards Jacob. The curse would be gone. Everything would be fixed.

"Margaux!" cried Newt. I wasn't even sure what I would do or say next.

"What do you say, Grand Duchess?" asked Grindelwald. He stuck out his hand towards me, the flames licking my ankles. It was warm. I was tempted to accept his invitation and to join him. "The world will be yours. You will have the life you've been wanting with whoever you want to be with. Isn't that what you always wanted? Be the princess you were always meant to be." I could be happy once and for all. The images flashed in my mind, myself in the royal crowd and smiling.

I glanced back at Newt and Theseus before returning my gaze to Grindelwald. "I was never going to be a princess or a Grand Duchess," I told him. My heart would always be yearning for it, but it wasn't my place. It wasn't mine for the taking. "For a man who is great with words and can see into the future, you think you'd know that I never wanted to be the Tsarina. My place was never with royalty."

His face contoured into a grateful smile. I grabbed onto Jacob's shoulders before apparating above the catacombs. All of the fire creatures he'd created started to appear in the sky. I took a few steps back before feeling a great sense of pain rush through my body. Illiana appeared in the sky, swallowing one of the beasts whole. Theseus was looking in the other direction when something was coming towards him. I took a few steps forward and shot a curse at it, causing it to distinguish into a pile of ash. Theseus looked at me, a thank you escaping his mouth. Illiana was bellowing above us as another creature appeared. I turned back around to see Jacob looking up at the sky, pointing at the dragon. I pulled Jacob into cover under a veranda.

I let out a small scream, falling onto my knees. My vision was going blurry. Illiana. Flee! I screamed to Illiana. It's fiend fire, it will keep hurting. Illiana kept circling us, attempting to hurt the creature. You will be hurt, die. I stay to protect you. "Hey, are you alright, there?" asked Jacob. He reached out to help me before withdrawing his hand. It felt like I stuck my feet into a raging fire. A rush of pain overcame me. I stumbled backward against the wall. My vision kept going in and out. Someone appeared in front of me and I tried to walk to them.

"I'm fine!" I spat. It came out rougher than I meant it to be.

"You're burning up, you're not okay." Illiana let out a bellowing roar as the fire fought back. "Hey, come on. I think we should get out of here. It doesn't seem safe." Illiana... I felt Illiana push back against me. Go, be safe. I spat out some blood, the fire still burning its way up my body. I hunched over my legs, shaking, my arms wrapping around my torso. I had blacked out for a few minutes from the pain. I was curled up in a ball on the ground, whimpering, waiting for it to end. "Hey, Newt, I need some help with her," Jacob called out. "She doesn't seem too good." A hand reached out and tapped me on the shoulder before helping me sit up. Theseus was kneeling in front of me. His face was covered in tears. A small smile on his lips.

"It's okay," muttered Theseus. "Illiana is okay. I think she's going to cool off." He helped to wipe the dirt off my face and pushed my hair back. "You okay, right?"

"I can still feel the fire burning-" I spat out some more blood onto the ground next to me. Theseus caught me before I hit the ground.

"Maybe we should go to St Mungo's and have a healer take a look at you, Margaux," muttered Theseus. I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying. I was looking at a few grass strands blowing in the wind.

"I'd be lying if I said I hadn't wished to feel nothing at times because feelings are painful, and I don't want to suffer through all the moments without you," I remarked softly. A small laugh escaped my lips.

"What?" asked Theseus.

"Something Grindelwald said made me think. It's nothing." Theseus helped me to my feet and made sure I was steady before stepping away.

"Can I ask about the dragon?" asked Jacob. "Whose was it, is it dangerous, and is it coming back?"

"Her name is Illiana, and she's safe. She only attacks when she feels threatened. She can come back if you want her to, but I'm not going to call her back," I informed Jacob. Jacob's eyes widened and he closed his mouth, nodding slightly.

"She's yours?" Jacob asked.

"It's complicated and an old myth," Newt said. "As a tradition, it's almost gone."