Man's Destiny on Earth

It was the middle of the night when we were woken. I had gotten up and changed when I heard arguments coming from outside the door, waiting for something to happen. Papa came in and motioned me out of the room. "We're moving, we must act fast," Papa told us as he moved to change into formal wear. "Margaux, go with the children." I followed them into the basement with the servants following closely behind us. Illiana, get the Aurors. Something is about to happen. I'll try to hold it off as long as I can. I gripped my wand tightly as we positioned ourselves against the back wall. Two chairs were brought down for Alexei and Alexandra. We stood ready for a photo to be taken when a soldier came in.

    "Nikolai Alexandrovich, in view of the fact that your relatives are continuing their attack on Soviet Russia, the Ural Executive Committee has decided to execute you." They drew their weapons and I began to mutter some protection spells under my breath.

    "What?" asked Papa, his demands falling on deaf ears. "What?" he asked one last time before the soldier repeated himself. I kept muttering softly and hoped it would be enough to protect us until help arrived.

"Nikolai Alexandrovich, in view of the fact that your relatives are continuing their attack on Soviet Russia, the Ural Executive Committee has decided to execute you." They aimed the weapons before taking fire. The bullets fell to the ground several feet away from us. I kept saying the spells over and over, and a slight haze grew between us. They were muttering, trying to figure out what was happening. "Attack the witch!" cried the leader. Everyone moved away towards the back of the room in an attempt to save themselves. I stayed where I was. "Kill her! I want her head!" A soldier appeared to the side of me, swinging his bayonet at me. It kept getting stuck by the protection spells before another bayonet appeared, swiping at my arm. For a moment, I stopped and smoke slowly filled the room.

I took my wand cast several more spells and unlocked the back door. My ears were ringing from the gunshots. My lungs were filling with smoke and I could feel small pieces of debris land on my arms. My wand flew out of my hand and pain ran up my arm. Several more shots rang out. I closed my eyes and prayed for the best outcome. Within seconds the shots stopped and several voices screamed out. "Hey, hey, you're okay," someone said. "Let's get them to St Mungo's. Let's move it."

"Theseus?" I asked, opening my eyes. The room was full of dust and I could make out his figure before me. I smiled. Illiana had sent my help.

"Hey. I got your message. We came as fast as we could." I slumped and he quickly helped me stay standing. "Come on, let's go to St Mungo's. You could use the help." I was sitting silently as they applied several different potions across my wounds with great details on my hand. Alexandra and Alexei were in surgery for their injuries. Papa sat across from me with another healer. Tatiana, Olga, Maria, and Anastasia were in their room with their healers and some English royal members came to visit them.

"I recommend staying the night unless you have someone at home to help treat some of the wounds if they were to reopen," the healer suggested. "Would there be someone like that at your place of residence?" The last I saw of Tilly was still pregnant and I didn't want to annoy her with me spending the night. Marcy would be willing to stay a few nights if I asked her to.

"I can ask a friend. I would prefer to return home."

"We will release you once your friend replies in the affirmative."

"Thank you."

"You could just stay with me," Theseus told me. "I wouldn't mind."

"I don't want to intrude," I replied. "I'll owl Marcy."

"If you insist."

Marcy came within the hour. The healer had come back into the room to discuss what would need to be done. I thanked them again and bid goodbye to Theseus. "I still don't know what happened between you that you two don't see eye to eye anymore," Marcy informed me. "It's a real shame. He seemed to be the best thing that ever happened to you. A good fellow, someone to share forever with."

"Some things aren't always made to last. And I thought you knew about his apparent curse on me."

"Curses never have true effects unless you believe in them. That's how they get you. Not in the actual curse but in the belief it will come true. I don't believe it would happen and it worked throughout your days at Hogwarts, but now, I think you are the one in doubt. It's your life, Margaux, live it with whoever you want to."

"I wish it was that easy, but for right now, I want to be alone. I need to figure out myself before I can focus on someone else."

"Who taught you the wise words, mmm?"

"The person I consider my mother."