Good Luck, Princess

For the third time in my life, I was abandoned to the care of someone else. I was waiting for the train to leave, my hands folded, and my eyes taking in my surroundings. My breaths were calculated in pace and intake. My hands clammy in anticipation. I didn't want anyone to think I was nervous or scared so I kept my hands behind me. I was a Romanov, I didn't show my weakness. As royalty, we don't show emotions. We were composed all the time. But this isn't where my story started. Nor is this the chapter I want to tell. I was a Hogwarts student. My goal was to learn, away from Marcy, who treated me like her daughter. She was the woman I considered my mother. I was to become a new person away from my trusted partner, Iliana. My breath had finally hitched after the whistle began. I patted my hands off and walked onto the train, smiling once more at Marcy before disappearing for the school year.

    I moved through the carriages, there was one near the back that only had two boys in it. I opened it and asked, "Do you mind if I join you?" They barely looked at me and agreed. I sat down next to the door and my shoulders relaxed.
    "You're the Romanov girl," one of them said. "George Burke. This is Theseus Scamander. How'd you end up here?"

    "Margaux Romanov-Windsor. My family decided that I was best off spending time in England. It'd be safer for me here. Fewer rebellions here in recent years." They eyed me and muttered a sort of agreement to my statement.

    "Good luck, princess," George told me. "You're going to need it."

    "Please don't call me princess. I'm not a princess, not really."

    "Whatever you say, princess."

    "Knock it off, George. Leave her alone," Theseus muttered to George. "It's a waste of time. Sorry about my friend," he directed at me, "He's an idiot who doesn't know when to shut up. It's nice meeting you, Margeaux."

    "And you, Theseus."

    The trip went by silently. I kept my head down and focused on the book I bought. Once we arrived, I followed Theseus through the crowd. He kept looking back at me with a soft smile. His eyes twinkled in the light. We made our way into Hogwarts, most of us not saying a word. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had spent my life until now with muggles and the wizarding world was new to me. We were lined up in front of the entrance to the Great Hall. My eyes focused in front of me and my eyes folded in front of me. My shoulders straightened and my feet pressed together. Once we entered, several people started to mutter when they saw me.

    "That's the Romanov girl."

    "She's the one they dissected."

    "Is she the Russian girl?"

    "The Russian Princess."

    "The Grand Duchess."

    There was a song that the hat sang to us before the Deputy Headmaster gave us a short speech. I barely paid attention to the names being called until... "Scamander, Theseus." "Hufflepuff!" A loud cheer. I gave him a small smile as he passed to the Hufflepuff table. He mouthed, 'Good luck' to me. It was a bit longer before I was called. "Romanov-Windsor, Margaux." I was the last one. I pulled my hands to my side as I walked up to the stool where I turned to face the crowd and sat down. The hat slumped down and partially covered my eyes. "Umm... Royalty who wishes to not be called Royalty." The royals destroyed me, I thought. "Thrives when being tutored..." Not Ravenclaw, not Slytherin, not Gryffindor. "The first time someone had requested to be placed in a house, but have it your way. You would have been great in Ravenclaw." The hat called out, "Hufflepuff!" I took the hat off and placed it on the stool. I walked swiftly to the Hufflepuff table, Theseus was beaming as I walked closer.

    "Welcome," a girl called out. "Hope you enjoy your time!"

    "Welcome," a boy told me. He was sitting two people down from me. "I'm your Prefect, Dean. If you have any questions, just ask me."

    "Thank you," I responded.