Don't Be

"Why are we still talking about this? I already told you I'm happy for you, Theseus," I snapped at him. We kept moving through the halls towards the main entrance, he was meeting his brother and I was returning to my office. "Look, we've moved on and there's no hard feelings between us. So let it go."

"Except, don't be. Be happy, I don't care, but don't be happy for me. I didn't want to be engaged to Leta, in the sense of the word." What did he just say? "Don't get me wrong, I love her, I want to be with her, but you understand, don't you?" Do I?
"Then why did you propose? Are you just proposing to random people because you're trying to fill a hole in your heart?" I asked him. Is he still not over me? Is he still in love with me? "Are you still stuck in the past, Theseus?"

"I want to be happy, I am happy, but I don't want you to feel pressured to feel happy about it even if you're not," he explained. "I want to be honest with you. You're still the best thing that happened to me and I just want to move on."

"I got some things to finish. It was nice talking to you, Theseus. I'll see you around."

"Yeah. See you around." I wasn't sure how to feel about what he said. He moved past me into the waiting area and Tilly came up to me. I shook my head and entered my office.

"You hear a lot more than I do. Is there something going around about Theseus and Leta?" I asked her. "Something Theseus told me is making me doubt everything I know."
"There's always a rumor about him. But the ones people are talking about is how he would still rather be with you than Leta and he only proposed because Leta wanted it to happen. There's one saying it's because of his parents and are forcing this upon him. But the one I believe in is the one where he still wants to propose to you," Tilly told me. "But I wouldn't worry, there's a strong case for them to break the engagement off because of personal issues. What did he say to you that made you doubt?"

"I'm still the best thing that ever happened to him."

"You are. I mean, he was an idiot before he started to date you. I don't mean that in a mean way, but he was too focused. Narrow minded until you two and he started to focus less on school and work and more on living. You changed him for the best."

"Would it be wrong of me to say part of me still loves him?"

"No. Have you considered that it's true love? The most powerful love out there. One that can overcome any obstacle. One that can break any curse set upon it."

"Except, Tilly, the issue with true love is that no one ever knows they have it until it's too late and the other dies."

"Did Mum never tell you that you had a curse placed upon you at your birth?" asked Tilly. I shook my head no. Tilly looked shocked that I didn't know. "Mum must have told you at some point. Mum saw it happen when she was still your nurse in France. Rasputin placed it upon you soon after your birth. Some sort of bad luck curse. Mum could never figure it out. I know she tried everything she could to try and lift it but no luck."

"Hence why I kept moving. But I thought Rasputin wasn't a wizard."

"Even if he was, no one wanted to admit it because of the risks," Tilly commented. "He was too powerful in the muggle world and made the wizarding world..."

"Thanks, Tilly. Ummm... I have work to get back to. Talk at lunch?" I asked.

"See you then, Margaux.. Tilly left a few papers on my desk and walked away.