Competition

This is prequel chapter to my book Broken Realities
January 2004 Framingham Massachusetts

Seventeen year old Zoe Williams was sitting in front of her computer going over her English essay. When she heard squealing coming from the family room. Zoe rolled her eyes at her sister's loud squeals and tried to focus on the screen. "Zoe come set the table now"snapped Linda Williams. Zoe rolled her eyes and groaned but got up from her desk and walked out and went downstairs to the kitchen. She was opening the cupboard and grabbing the plates when something slammed into her making Zoe some of drop the plates break them. Zoe turn to see her sister Nicole with a smug look on her face. Linda came back into the kitchen "What in the hell happened here?" asked Linda firmly. Nicole just changed the look on her face "Ma, Zoe pushed me making me drop the plates" cried Nicole. Zoe looked at her sister in disbelief and shook her head. "That's not what happened at all you pushed me and made me drop them" said Zoe shaking her head. Linda frowned then pulled Nicole into a hug who was totally fake crying in her mother's arms. "Zoe clean this up and I don't know why you weren't getting the table set like I asked you too in the first place" snapped Linda. Zoe just frowned there was no use to arguing with her mother when it came Nicole's antics because she wouldn't listen.

After dinner Zoe was reading Persuasion in the family room while Nicole was watching One Tree Hill. When their father Thomas came into the room "Is your homework done girls?" he asked. Zoe looked up from her book "Yes Dad, all my Math, History is done I just have to finish editing my essay for English"responded Zoe. Nicole just ignored her father and continued to watch the show. Thomas frowned "Zoe you're never going to get into a good collage if just sit around reading all the time" said Thomas firmly. Zoe looked at him with wide eyes she had already sent in her applications to college and been accepted to Harvard where she was going. She also been accepted into Yale and Northwestern and University of Utah. But Harvard was her dream school and it was close to home. "Dad I...."said Zoe but he cut off "Zoe go finish that essay now" he snapped. Zoe sighed and got up as Thomas turned to Nicole " Baby girl anything exciting happen today?" He asked. Nicole turned to him "Yes daddy I am going to be in a singing competition and win $5,000" squeal Nicole. Zoe stopped and laughed a little because Nicole couldn't sing at all. "What was that? asked Nicole. Zoe just shook her head "Nothing I just got spit caught in my throat" answered Zoe. Nicole narrowed her eyes. "You're such a Freak" snapped Nicole, Zoe said nothing and went to her room.

Zoe was picking up her backpack when Miss Tuttle the choir teacher called after her "Zoe can I talk to you for a minute?" asked Miss Tuttle. Zoe looked at her teacher and nodded "What can I do for you Miss Tuttle?" asked Zoe. Miss Tuttle handed her a blue piece of paper "I really think you should enter this competition Zoe, I think you have a good chance of winning and it's a little bit different then other competitions you have explain why you are sing the song you chose. You have such a way with music and words and amazing voice" said Miss Tuttle smiling. Zoe blushed she wasn't use to praise. "I don't know Miss Tuttle about all that " said Zoe. Miss Tuttle just shook her head "Zoe you are so talented, I don't know why you don't see that besides the cash prize is $5,000 dollars that could help out with college expenses" said Miss Tuttle with an raised eyebrow and held out the paper to Zoe. Zoe bit her lip "I will think about Miss Tuttle and thank you for thinking about me" said Zoe. Miss Tuttle just smiled " I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't think you could do it Zoe" replied Miss. Tuttle. Zoe Just nodded and put the paper in her backpack.

Zoe was at home and was pulling out her homework when the paper fell on the ground she picked up and looked at the flyer It would be nice to have that extra money thought Zoe to herself. She went to downstairs to the piano and began to play If We Hold on Together it was her favorite song and she began to sing it too. When her mother came into the room along with Nicole. "Oh would you just shut up no one wants to hear you squawk about" snapped Nicole. Zoe stopped playing and just glared at her sister. "Oh be nice Nicole, Zoe has a very beautiful voice" said Linda. Zoe saw Nicole narrowing her eyes but said nothing. "I haven't heard you play or sing in while what's the occasion" asked Linda. Zoe smiled "Ma Miss Tuttle thought I could sing a competition but you have to sing a song that has special meaning to you and so I was thinking that song and I could win $5000 which would help with collage" answered Zoe. "NO NO, you can't be in that competition that's the one I in" yelled Nicole. Linda looked at her daughter in shock "You can both do it" said Linda. Nicole started to throw at fit even though she was 18 yrs old "No no she can't it's my compensation I never get anything she gets everything " squealed Nicole stamping her feet. Zoe just looked at Nicole like she had finally lost her mind. Linda just shook her head "Stop acting like a two year old Nicole, you both can do it" snapped Linda. Zoe looked at her mother in surprise Linda hardly corrected Nicole and never sided with Zoe.
Nicole was grumbling then got an evil smile. "Okay fine but I want to sing The Land Before Time song" said Nicole. Zoe gasped at Nicole who knew how much that song meant to her it was the only song that would calm Zoe down when she was younger and had been adopted by the Williams. "But I love that song.." said Zoe sadly and Nicole just grinning at her "I want that song it means so much to me and we both can't sing the same song" said Nicole. Linda just shrugged "If you want to be in the composition Zoe you will have to find another song"said Linda looking Zoe with a slight grin. Zoe defeated "Fine I will find another song" she said sighing. Nicole just smirked "Good Luck Zoe could you're going to need it" said Nicole laughing as she left the room. Zoe sat the piano a tear forming her eye. A noise from the window got her attention there was an owl on the tree outside with bright blue eyes just staring at her and cooing at her. Watching the all of a sudden Zoe felt peace, love and determination Zoe knew she was done competing with Nicole and kick her sister ass at this competition.

To be continued