Should've

Warning ⚠️ mention of suicide and verbal abuse mild religious themes. If these are sensitive topics for you please consider not reading.

Kate was cuddling with Steve on the couch watching her favorite romcom. When her phone went of with a ringtone she hadn't heard in ages. She looked at the phone to see one of her younger sister's name on the screen. Hesitatingly she answered it "Hello Alissa?"said Kate there was some whispering in the background for a few seconds "Hello Alissa are you there?" Kate asked. Her sister cleared her voice "Yes Kate it is" answered Alissa in a monotone voice. Kate gripped the phone "Alissa how are you? How is the family..." Kate started ask in rapid succession but Alissa cut her off "Kate something has happen to Elizabeth and she wanted you to come her funeral" answered Alissa in a cold tone. Kate's heart shattered and she gasped. Steve was by her side "What happened was it an accident?" Kate asked in sobs. Alissa just sighed "She commented suicide Kate" answered Alissa quickly. Kate was sobbing when Steve tried to take the phone but she wouldn't let go " Why why would she do that?" cried Kate. "Dad found out Elisabeth is BI" said Alissa in a sad tone. Steve finally got the phone "Alissa this is Steve Rogers Kate's boyfriend when is the funeral and viewing?" asked Steve in a soft voice. " In a week tell Kate that she will have to find her own accommodations our dad said that since Lizzie wanted her at the funeral she welcome but she is not welcome in his own home" said Alissa. Steve groaned and mentally cursed the man "That won't be a problem and thank you for letting know, We will see you next week" said Steve. Alissa didn't even say goodbye and hung up the phone.

Kate just sobbed in Steve's arms her baby sister was gone. Her heart was hurting for her sister who had to face their father's judgment all alone. The same man who had thrown her out because of her being different and didn't fit his narrow view of the world anymore. The elevator doors open and Bucky and Camie were laughing together but stopped when they saw Kate and Steve. Camie rushed to Kate's side "What's wrong Kate?" asked Camie concern. Kate just sobbed and curled into Steve's arms, Camie looked at Steve who was tearing up himself. "Kate got a call from her sister Alissa ummm Elisabeth ended her life, their father found out Elisabeth being BI" said Steve. Camie groaned Kate's father was highly religious and didn't tolerate anything he saw as a sin. "Oh Kate I am so sorry" said Camie sadly as her own tears formed she remembered Lizzie who was shy and quiet unlike her sisters Kate and Alissa but she was kind hearted and loved animals.

Kate finally pulled away from Steve "It's my fault I should've been there" cried Kate. "I should've never made fun of her when we were little I mean as baby she couldn't cried so as a five year old I would say Lizzie can't cry.. and she always wanted to play with me and my friends but I didn't let her ..I should've let her come" Kate was sobbing again. Camie just pulled Kate to an embrace and gently rocked Kate. "But you were there Kate she trusted you completely when she came out to you and she knew she had your support and loved her no matter what" said Camie in calming tone. "Kate you were there for her when it really mattered it's not your fault, there were things in her life that consumed her it's no one fault" said Camie. All of a sudden jerked back and looked at Camie with anger in her eyes "Yes there is my father's and his oh so magnificent god" snapped Kate. Camie's eyes widened Kate had rarely snapped at her.

Kate stood up and was walking out Steve stopped her "Where are you going Love?" he asked concerned. Kate looked him straight in the eyes. "Home and to face my maker and show him what true power is" snapped Kate her hands fisted and glowing magically purple. Steve held up his hands "Now love let's think rationally you can't do that you know this" said Steve gently trying to hug her. Kate pulled back "Rationally...you have no idea what it was like growing up.... Constantly being told I am evil and going to hell... and trying so hard to be good and meek always listening to my father but it was never good enough...then my accident and my father trying to cast the devil out me and when that didn't work he kicked me out in the middle of winter... if Camie hadn't taken me in I would be dead" laughed Kate. Steve went to say something but Kate cut him off " That's not the worst part he always told us growing up that if we ever were like the gays or anything else that he hope we die and burn in hell forever" said Kate crying. "I hate him and God for being so damn judgmental when things happen in life that are beyond our comprehension and control" yelled Kate.

Camie stepped forward "Kate I know that it's hard to understand right now you are grieving such a great lost. But the way your dad thinks about god is wrong he isn't hateful and judgmental." says Camie. Kate shakes her head but Camie pulls Kate into a hug "The god I know or Heavenly Father is loving and understanding and wants what's best for us. He sent us to earth to learn and grow, but sadly sometimes the darkness of the world consumes some so much that they don't see away out. The only way for them to stop the darkness and the pain is to end things. I know that Heavenly Father is there waiting for that person when they go to heaven. It's bittersweet reunion but he is there with open arms and a loving embrace. Your sister is now knowing what it is truly like to be loved and wanted. Though she couldn't find in this life she definitely found it in the next." said Camie firmly and softly. Kate just sobbed and nodded "She finally found home like I did here with Steve and the Avengers, a place she can be who she truly was meant to be without the judgments of the world" said Kate who finally felt some sort of calm for the first time since the news. "Even though your dad here should've been a better father at least she is with her true father now" said Camie. Kate just hugged Camie "Thanks Camie you truly are amazing I don't know where I would be without you" said Kate. Camie just nodded "You have been there for me too and accepted me no matter what thank you being my friend too" said Camie.

Later that night in bed Kate laid awake tears still rolling down her face. Her sister was at peace without the judgements of the world and their father but one thing was for sure. Her father would be facing his own judgment and Kate would make sure it was hell.

Author noted: this is entirely fictional and if your have thoughts of this nature please seek help.