🌌Chapter 8: Sleepover✏️

// guess who's back with an update? i've been reading all of your comments, you guys are super funny. thanks for sticking around even in my absence! //

Your phone just keeps ringing. You don't want to answer it..but you know you have to. Marinette and Chloe continue talking about their different topics for their projects, but you couldn't care less about that right now. Everything went by so fast, it made your head spin. How did she do this every day? You sigh, standing up from your desk. 

"I'm gonna take a call, you guys alright?" You ask, picking up your phone and unplugging it from its charger. Marinette nods, Chloe replies. 

"..Yeah, we'll be fine. It's not like I haven't gone through your house a million times. If I need something, I know where to go." She points finger guns at you, making you smile before stepping out of your room onto the balcony. Your smile falls as you walk over to the railing, holding your phone up to your ear. 

There's a brief pause before you can hear a voice on the other end. 

"You've been ignoring me." He starts off, his voice clearly heard. 

You roll your eyes, an irritated look on your face. "Have you ever considered the fact that I might not have time to talk, Father? That I might be..oh, I don't know.. busy with my schoolwork and other stuff?"

"You can still make time to talk to your father."
"Whatever."
"Don't take that tone of voice with me, young man."
"What are you going to do about it? It's not like you're around to punish me."

"Son."
"What do you want? You only call when you want something." You fidget in place, sitting on the rail now and kicking your legs back and forth. 

"..There was an akuma attack today. Are you hurt?"
"No. I'm fine."
"Good.. I saw it, on the news. I tried asking your mother, but it seems she still has me blocked because of our argument a few weeks ago."

"For good reason." You mutter under your breath where he can't hear. "..Is that all?"

"What, I can't check on my son from time to time?" He asks. You can hear shuffling, he must be walking around his office. 

"It's just..weird. You don't normally take the time to have a conversation with me like this." You look up at the moonlit sky. 

"..There's a first time for everything, isn't there?" He stops moving. "Look..I know we haven't always gotten along, but..I'm trying my best here, son."

You tense. One of your hands grips the rail a little tighter than before. 

"Can we not do this right now? I have company over." You mutter quietly, your voice barely above a whisper. You hear a hum of acknowledgement from the other end. 

"..Very well. But we do need to talk sometime soon."

"Yeah.. good night."
"Good night, son. I love you."

You hang up, putting your phone in your pocket. Letting out a sigh, you run your hands through your messy hair. You hear the sound of a door sliding open, looking over to see Marinette walking out. 

"Room for one more?" She asks with a smile, looking up at the stars as she reaches you. 
"Of course." You reply, holding the rail with both hands now. She climbs onto the rail, carefully sitting beside you.

"You know, my house has a balcony, too. I guess that's something we have in common..nice views of Paris." She turns to you. You give her a smile, taking a deep breath of fresh air. Little moments like these are always nice..just taking in your surroundings, grounding yourself despite ironically being so high up. You can faintly hear the sounds of the city below you when you close your eyes, people talking and laughing together as they enjoy the sights. The city is lit up as if it were one big holiday decoration, illuminated anywhere you look. It's really nice.. you can't even tell what happened here earlier. A gentle breeze blows through the air, cool against your skin but not too cold.