Chapter 35 - Centipede?

Start from the beginning

Leah landed on a nearby spinal column, watching as the titan retreated further up Eren's back and towards the Colossal titan puppet. At a glance over her shoulder it became apparent that they were surrounded. With Bertholdt looming before them, and an fierce army closing in behind them.

The Colossal could end them in an instant, but they also stood no chance against the approaching titans. And if they lost sight of the Okapi titan again, it could be over for Armin. They had to make a decision and fast. Mikasa perched on Annie's other shoulder, and it was clear they were all weighing up their choices.

Leah looked onto the titan's with a grimace on her face. They had no choice, if they hung around any longer, they'd be ripped apart. Just then, a shadow cast down upon them, and Leah's head tilted back to see the stomach of the Colossal stretched over them. The Bertholdt puppet craned forward, stamping his gargantuan hands down and quashing the conflicting army in affectively one move.

"Did Bertholdt just save all our lives?!" Connie gasped.

"I don't understand, but still, I won't let this chance slip away!" Mikasa sprinted forward, activating her gear in the direction of the Okapi titan.

Like a rabbit running from a fox, the titan threw itself into the air to escape from the unparalleled force of Mikasa. A harsh bang cracked in the air, piercing the titan and knocking it off course.

Missing the spikes, the titan began falling, opening up and opportunity for Mikasa to swing in and cut the jaw loose. The Okapi's teeth fell apart and out flew Armin's limp and spittle covered body.

He let out a phlegmy cough, clearing his lungs of whatever titan spit had entered it, and simultaneously the Okapi's tongue shot back out. It speared his thigh, dragging him back down towards its open mouth, but the Commander readied a thunderspear on his arm and with a furious roar exploded the beastly titan.

Leah, realising Armin was still attached to the unresponsive and once again plummeting titan, rocketed over and sliced the tongue impaling his leg in half. Footsteps rumbled, getting closer until Armin landed in Annie's cupped titan hands.

"Annie, behind you!" Connie warned, flying past the female titan and landing next to Mikasa on an elevated perch. Leah dropped into the palm of Annie's hand beside Armin. She helped him stand, supporting him when his legs threatened to buckle beneath him and his lungs convulsed to rid the titan spit.

"What's happening with these titan's?" When Connie's words met Leah's ears, her head spun to watch the scene before them. A handful of the army had switched sides, and were now fighting on the Alliance's side. A large titan, roughly resembling Eren's attack titan but with more body and facial hair, snapped an Armoured titan in two and Leah let out a baffled gasp.

"It's actually all thanks to Zeke."

Leah grimaced. "What'd he do?" Mikasa asked.

"He awakened our comrades in the world of the Paths, where life and death have no meaning. All Eldians are connected by way of the Paths. That's probably because the Founder Ymir is seeking connection. I think she wants something from us...."

When the world abruptly fell silent, panic jolted through Leah like electricity. The unknown was by far the scariest thing in that moment, and if Leah knew one thing for sure, it was that she had no idea what was going on. But then it dawned on her, as her mind put two and two together like fitting together pieces of a puzzle.

The all encompassing rumbling. It had stopped. The wall titans were no longer moving beneath them, which meant somebody had managed to find and kill Zeke. Leah's eyes scanned hungrily, yearning for confirmation of her thoughts.