Chapter 16 - Wanted

To say Levi was angry was an understatement. He'd never felt so betrayed in his life; the fact Leah had chosen to save her own skin and leave the rest of the Scouts with a one way ticket to disaster made his blood boil. And when Levi was angry, he made bad decisions.

In order to protect the newly appointed Levi Squad he was forced to marginalise this anger, locking any thoughts of Leah away in the back of his mind. He was now in charge of the safety of the 104th training corps Scouts, including the much desired Eren and Historia. In the passing days since Leah's departure, the Government called for the two teenagers to be surrendered. This meant that Levi had to be on constant high alert, all while dealing with Hange's eccentric experiments to test Eren's titan abilities to the absolute maximum.

The morning after Leah's abrupt walkout the regiment was rife with rumours, nobody confirming or denying anything about where she'd gone or why. Eren had spent the whole day tearing at the chocolate hairs on his head and pacing anxiously, much to Levi's distaste. Leah's co-captain hadn't said a thing, feeling that it wasn't his place considering he knew what seemed to be the bare minimum about her leaving.

Eventually, by nightfall of that day, a letter was delivered to the barracks addressing Captain Levi. It had been written by Erwin, instructing him to continue his protection of Eren and Historia and to construct a new special operations squad from whom he deemed appropriate - in the end Levi had decided it made most sense to select Eren and Historia's friends resulting in the new squad of Mikasa, Connie, Jean, Sasha and Armin. Erwin had also detailed about Leah, something the whole squad, including Hange and Moblit, had gather round to hear Levi read out:

"I regret to inform you that Captain Leah has decided to pursue a position as section commander of the Garrison, and by the time you are reading this, will have returned to Stohess district." The mood within the group had been subdued since then, everyone feeling some degree of hurt that Leah had left without saying so much as a goodbye. Levi didn't mention his encounter with her.

Alongside the hunt for Eren and Historia, the royal government froze all Scout activity outside the walls, something Erwin had foreseen happening. This just added a layer of complexity that resulted in the special ops squad having to operate in secret, move hideouts frequently and most importantly watch their backs. Levi was aware of the fact that there was a constant search of Garrison soldiers posted around the walls and he feared most that Leah could be a part of these hunting parties.

The same day the special ops squad heard of Pastor Nick's mysterious, untimely death from Hange, Nifa (a Scout Levi had not met before that day) arrived in a panic with a letter from Erwin determining they move into hiding and leave no trace of their whereabouts. This made it clear to Levi that they were being watched, though who by he wasn't sure.

Things just kept getting worse, Levi found. On moving to Trost, Eren and Historia were captured by a group of Interior Police led by none other than mass murderer Kenny the Ripper. Levi was furious and confused. What a low-life like Kenny was doing working with the royal government, he had no idea, but it only complicated matters and that was the last thing Levi needed now. Kenny was strong and taught Levi everything he knew. This meant that there was a chance they'd have to go up against him again and this put even more of his soldier's lives at risk. Not only was Kenny's weapons tailored to killing humans, much unlike the ODM gear, but it was also clear his men wouldn't think twice about taking someone's life, an obstacle Levi's squad still had to overcome.

Hange and Levi tried their hand at interrogating two men from the order of the walls, knowing what they were doing was necessary to get information about why Historia was of value.