I raise my brows, looking down at him again, though he pays me no mind.

"She still doesn't think she'll be any good at being a mommy, but I think you and I both know she's gonna be a rockstar at it."

I roll my eyes again, leaning my head back.

"I was reading today," Joe sighs to my belly. "And you are getting pretty big little girl. And don't get me wrong, I want you to keep growing. We need you to so you can come out of mommy's belly, and I can hold you. But once you're out, that's it. No way you're allowed to grow anymore."

"I don't think that's how that works," I mention, my head still leaned back.

"Shh, we're talking," Joe says softly to me.

I laugh lightly again, the grin on my lips now fully visible.

"Mommy doesn't know it yet, but she's really excited to meet you too. I think she's hoping you're gonna be just like me. But me? I want you to be just like your mommy. Just as amazing as she is."

My brows furrow, my head lifting slightly to make eye contact with Joe. "Did you-"

"Feel that?" He asks, his brows raising. "Yeah. That was her."

"We don't know that."

Joe gives me look. "That wasn't like your normal gas bubbles that I feel when I'm touching your belly. That was her."

"Hey, leave my gas bubbles alone, I'm growing you a human."

He chuckles, kissing the belly. "Thank you for that little surprise today to let me know you're listening. We'll chat more later, I promise."

I laugh at him again as he sits up, leaning over and kissing me now as I put my shirt down. "Did you enjoy your little chat with her today?"

He nods. "I did, in fact, yes."

I sigh. "You brought up a good point and I think we need to talk about it."

He raises his brows, standing and pulling his shirt off before climbing into bed next to me. "Yeah, what's that?"

"Announcing."

He sighs. "Why can't we just keep a secret until she's here?"

I laugh. "Do you really wanna do that?"

I grins. "Is that a yes?"

"No."

He sighs again.

"I don't think either of our families would appreciate us keeping our first born a secret from them until she arrives."

"But think of it this way," he says, his head on my lap as I play with his hair. "if we tell them, they're gonna wanna throw you a baby shower and all of that stuff and I know you don't want that. So, if we don't tell them and we just let it be a surprise, then no worries, we just tell them when she gets here and everyone be like 'whoa what the fuck'."

I laugh. "You want them to be like, 'whoa, what the fuck?'"

He chuckles, shrugging. "I don't know it would be kinda funny, don't you think?"

I nod. "I do. But I also think it wouldn't be fair to leave them out of the whole pregnancy."

"Why?" He asks genuinely. "It's our baby. It's our pregnancy. Your pregnancy."

"Yeah, but they're our family. They'd want the chance to be just as excited as you are."

"And you are."

I sigh.

"Addie."

"I'm excited for her to get here. I'm excited to watch you be a dad. I'm just not excited about having to be a mom."

"Can I be honest?"

I nod. "Always."

"I don't think you're not excited about being a mom. I think you're just too scared to allow the excitement to be felt."

I lick my lips. "I guess that would be a possibility."

"Mmhmm," he nods. "But I see your point when it comes to telling everyone. You're right. It's our first baby and they would want to share the excitement with us."

"Why do you want to keep it a secret the whole time?"

"I don't know," he sighs. "I feel like it's just been so nice. No stress because no one knows. It's so nice having something just be ours."

I grin down at him, nodding. "I know. But I really don't feel like it's fair to keep her just ours forever."

He grins, intertwining our fingers. "You're right. So, how are we going to tell them?"

"Well, I think simplicity is the way to go. I don't want anything big, especially with how I'm still feeling about having a baby in the first place."

He nods again. "Okay, so we'll do a family get together. Summer party. We invite both sides over and have a big bbq, there's the pool, games, food, all the things. That way we can just play it off like a summer get together."

I nod. "Okay, that's fair."

"But how do we tell them once everyone's here?"

"Umm, I mean, I think we may be able to just let that come naturally."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, if I'm not going to make it a big deal then I feel like it could just be brought up in conversation somehow."

"Or we can do the whole bun in the oven thing and have our moms look in the oven."

"Absolutely not," I shake my head.

He laughs. "Or, we can just play it super cool and you put on your bathing suit and get in the pool and everyone's like uhhh Addie's gained weight and then we can be like 'yeah a baby does that'."

I laugh, shaking my head. "No!"

He laughs, playing with my fingers. "Okay, then let's just invite everyone to the BBQ, plan that part and then we'll figure out the announcement part later."

I nod. "That works."

"Great," he sighs.

He lays in my lap for another moment, staring at the ceiling as I stare at the wall, my free hand playing in his hair as the other is still intertwined with his. The air is silent, but comfortable.

"Joe..."

"Yes, my love," he answers.

"What do I do when they ask how excited I am?" I ask nervously. "I don't want to lie. But I don't think they'll understand how I feel like you do."

He turns his head to look at me, our eyes connecting. "I think you should just play along."

"You do?"

He sighs, nodding. "You're right. I don't think anyone will understand the way that you feel. I think they'll take it the wrong way. Like you don't want her or something."

"Which isn't true," I shake my head. "I do. I do want her. She is wanted."

"I know that," he says softly.

I sigh. "I just don't feel I'm going to be a good mom. That's all."

He sighs. "I disagree, you know that. But I understand."

"So, play along."

He nods, caressing my cheek. "Play along."

***

hello hello my friends:) 

two chapters in two days? I'm once again on a roll lmao

comment your thoughts, do you think she should play along or be honest? 

all my love,

Shan:)