five.

*Addison's POV*

After a two-hour meeting with a wedding planner simply discussion my ideas, I climb into the car and let out a deep breath before taking out my phone and ordering dinner for Joe and me, deciding I'd pick it up on the way home instead of cooking tonight.

Thirty minutes later, I push open the front door and push it back closed with my butt, dodging Porky as I move into the kitchen and notice Joe sitting on the couch.

"Hey babe, I grabbed dinner! I figured we could relax and stuff tonight instead of cooking and having to clean up and all. I can't believe I was with her talking about wedding ideas for two hours! It was insane but I'm pretty sure we have a good foundation going. You'll have to come next time so we can compromise and make it what we both want," I tell him, setting down the food and grabbing plates and silverware.

"Yeah, that sounds great," he says quietly, getting up and moving towards the kitchen.

I stop my movements, looking at him for a moment as he stands at the counter, staring down at it as if he doesn't know what else to do.

"Babe."

His head shoots up, making eye contact with me, his brows raised as if I snapped him out of a daze.

"What's wrong?" I ask. "You weren't acting like this earlier."

"I've just got a lot on my mind," he sighs.

"Okay," I nod slowly. "Well, did something happen while I was gone? Do you want to talk about it?"

He takes a minute to think before letting out a huge sigh. "I don't know if I want to... but I think I need to."

I nod. "Okay, well," I start, making both of our plates quickly before handing him one and grabbing both of us waters. "Let's sit and eat and you can tell me."

We both go to our seats, and I open my water, taking a swig before looking at him as he takes a bite of his food, chewing and swallowing slowly.

"What happened?" I ask.

He licks his lips, swallowing another bite he had taken. "Nick stopped by today."

I look up, my eyebrows raised as I chew a bite, covering my mouth so I can talk. "Here?"

He nods. "Yeah, he said he wanted to catch up."

I nod. "Okay. How is he?"

"He's good," he nods. "We were talking about you a little bit. He said he felt bad since you've never really gotten to know him. Especially since you've spent so much time with Kev and Dani."

"Oh," I say, taking another sip of water. "I mean, he's busy."

Joe nods. "Yeah, that's what I said too. Apparently, he's met someone."

"Really?" I ask, excited for him. "That's awesome."

Joe nods. "He's ten years older than him."

"Wow, that's a bit of an age gap."

Joe shrugs. "Yeah but I mean whatever makes him happy."

I nod, "No, for sure. I just wasn't expecting that."

Joe shakes his head. "Me either. They met at the Met Gala."

"Oh wow, so he really likes her?"

Joe nods. "Yeah, he said he's been spending a lot of time with her and her family. Even said he was gonna bring her to dinner the other night but then he was glad he didn't, so he didn't take any attention away from our announcement."

"Awe, it would've been nice to meet her though! It seems like they're getting serious if he's been spending time with her family and was gonna introduce her."

Joe nods. "Yeah. But he also mentioned something that kinda caught me off guard."

"What'd he say?"

Joe waits a second. "He um," he pauses, taking a sip of water as I do the same. "He asked how I'd feel about getting the band back together."

I take the bottle from my mouth, almost choking. Taking a second, I swallow the water and try to collect my thoughts, knowing he's watching me.

"Well," I start. "That's not what I expected..."

He nods, letting out a breath of agreement.

"How um, what do you think about it?"

Joe takes in a breath, laughing a little as he lets it out. "I have no idea. It caught me so off guard we didn't even finish the conversation."

"Yeah, that's um, that's a lot."

"I've never even thought about it. The Jonas Brothers... we've been done for years. I mean, there's never been a thought that crossed my mind that we'd ever even consider getting back together but here we are. It's a possibility and now I have to make a decision that I never thought I'd have to," he explains.

I nod. "I get it. I know that it really tore you up when you guys broke up, especially how it happened. But y'know if you want to talk about it, I'm here. But if you don't, that's okay. It's a decision that you have to make for yourself. You know I'm gonna support you no matter what you decide."

He nods. "I know. Thank you."

I give him a small grin. "I love you."

He grins. "I love you too."

Soon, Joe leaves, heading home for the night to spend some time alone now that he has a big decision to make.

I can see why he's hesitant. I may not have been there when the band broke up, not even close. But I do know that it had a huge impact on him, and it still does. We talked about it in couple's therapy. He had opened up about it because he thought it was affecting our relationship. Which in a way was true. He picked the fight because he got scared. He was scared because he started to trust me in a way, he didn't think was possible and it reminded him of how he felt when the band broke up. He and Nick had been best friends. They were so close. Then, the person that he thought he could trust more than anyone in the world called it quits on the band. Feeling betrayed, Joe had immediately pushed Nick away. And Kevin. The three of them hadn't talked for years. Then, Kevin had Valentina and soon thereafter, Joe and Kevin got really close again. Although I'm pretty sure I had a huge impact on how close they are now. In all honesty, me losing my family was the reason Joe wanted us to get closer to Kevin and Dani. He wanted me to feel like I still had a family. Which is true. Kevin and Dani opened me with open arms, and I now realize how important that's been to me. Now, his parents as well as Nick and Frankie have done the same. Maybe not to the same extent but, that's okay. Things were a little different and I'm sure everyone had a bit of hard feelings when Joe chose Kevin to introduce to me first. Either way, I pushed Joe away the last time something huge happened in my life and I know it was horrible on him. But now, Joe's the one with something huge going on an I have a feeling that I'm about to know what it felt like for him. 

***

another short chapter, but important<3

all my love, 

shan:)