Chapter 6 - Cedar's POV

Începe de la început

Steadying my breaths, I climbed the wooden stairs to the docks, keeping a rhythm to my steps as I walked along the planks. One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two —

"Greetings, traveler! Care to restock your traveling inventory before you continue?"

I looked up, spotting the first vendor off to my right. She had a stand overfilled with all sorts of traveling necessities, like water satchels, compasses, maps, and books.

My heart fluttered. "Absolutely!" I exclaimed, sprinting over to her stand. She had books about everything — plants, animals, weather, ancient creatures, rocks, and even magic.

I picked up a book titled Magic in Nature; A Must-Have For Every Young Mage! and flipped to the summary page.

"Ahoy there, young mage! Within this book is everything you need to know on your journey to master magic! It might shock you to discover that everything around you can assist in your magical adventures! In the Plants and Herbs section, we've listed all the plants with magical properties, many of which can assist in healing — or the exact opposite! Our Creatures and Critters section will teach you that even the smallest creatures possess magic, and can help you in the most mind-boggling ways! Even weather plays a big part in magic, and with the proper guidance, you can learn to harness its power for your own use! Study this book, and learn the laws and uses of magic, and how it can help in your adventures!"

The more I read, the more my jaw dropped. My fingers itched to flip through the pages. "Is this real?" I asked the vendor, who smiled at me pleasantly.

"Great choice, adventurer!" the vendor exclaimed, and my stomach clenched as if I'd taken a blow to the stomach. My ears felt suddenly clogged, so I barely heard her next words ("With that book, you can become a powerful mage! I recommend this book as well; How to Adventure Effectively. It's very useful for adventurers and heroes alike...").

That's three times now.

"O-okay, thanks," I said, shakily setting down Magic in Nature; A Must-Have For Every Young Mage! and grabbing the adventuring one instead. I skimmed the summary as a distraction, but it drew me in, and I found myself asking the price.

The vendor charged me six gold pieces, which was sort of a lot for one book. I paid her, tucking the book away and departing from the stand.

"Hold on there, traveler! Aren't you forgetting something?"

"What?" I turned to face the vendor again, finding her holding out the Magic in Nature book. I didn't realize that, in showing my interest in the book, she had assumed I wanted that one, too.

"Thanks..." I mumbled, taking the book from her with trembling hands and adding it to my inventory. I guess that explains the price... Maybe I could refund it? I'd never had to refund anything before — I didn't even know if that was an option. Had I just wasted my precious gold on a book I didn't need? I mean, I wasn't a mage. What use would I have for the book, aside from an interesting read?

I walked away with it anyway, too much of a coward to ask about refund policies. It's fine, I tried to convince myself. It would be fun to read, at the very least. Besides, maybe I could trade it to someone who really needed it. Yeah, that would be fine. This was fine.

Refocusing on my task at hand, I continued down the docks. No more distractions, I decided.

I spent the rest of the day buying all sorts of new trade items, even bartering an enchanted storm-predicting ring for only eleven gold pieces — nine pieces less than the original price. It would be a handy trinket for all sorts of travelers. Maybe that hero would find some use in it. Although... he didn't really seem the type to walk around wearing an enchanted ring...