Chapter 16 - ♪ Please don't ever become a stranger ♪

I groan and turn around in bed, what's going on downstairs? It's like a herd of cows' is running through the house

I groan and turn around in bed, what's going on downstairs? It's like a herd of cows' is running through the house. I hear them coming up the stairs, followed by some giggles. I pause my music and listen closely.

"30 seconds!" I hear someone yell. Was that Emma? And then it's almost quiet but I can hear "you're standing on my toe!" and Emma who says "15 seconds."

What are they doing? And besides Emma who else is out there?

'5'

'4'

'3'

'2'

'1'

My door is thrown open and I shriek loudly even though I had heard them. I pull my comforter closer around me while they scream, "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

What the hell? "I could have been naked!" I yell back.

"You never sleep naked," Adalind says and enters my room.

"Maybe I thought it was a good idea to start with tonight." I keep my comforter closer to me. No, I don't sleep naked, and technically I wasn't naked, but I'm only in my panties and a little top that is a bit too small.

I eyed the people in my room "what are you doing here?" I ask.

"Wishing you a Happy New Year," Adalind says amused.

"Oh yeah, sorry. Happy New Year!" I say and smile at all off them.

"We need kisses Piper. Come on." Nathan comes closer and gives me three wet kisses on my cheeks. Adalind follows and plops down next to me. Emma and Nick are next, while Adalind whispers in my ear "nice panties." I narrow my eyes at her when Damien comes closer "Happy New Year Piper," he says quietly.

"Happy New Year Damien." I kiss his cheeks, and I can smell his cologne again. Why does he smell so good? I have missed that scent. I look in his eyes and I see something but I'm not sure what. He smiles at me and pulls away.

"You left the party for me?" I ask while I pull a sweater over my head.

"We did. It was lame anyway," Nick says.

I smile and look around the guestroom to the faces of my friends and my smile widens. I felt so sad when I came home from visiting granny and had been listening to one of my all-time favorite sad songs, 'Crying in the Rain a-ha'. After I listened to it a few times on repeat I switched to some other sad sappy music making me feel even sadder. But now with them here I feel better again. I sit closer to Adalind and whisper in her ear "I love you," and place my head on her shoulder. "Love you too," she mumbles in my hair. When I look back around the boys have left the room, and Emma's struggling with a mattress.

"What are we doing?" I ask.

"Sleepover. And I'm not sleeping on the floor," she mumbles.

"It would have been easier to place my mattress in your room," I chime, and she stops moving. Her room is bigger, and I have a single mattress, hers is not a king size mattress but definitely bigger than mine. I wonder how she managed to bring it through the hall and in my room. Maybe Nick and the boys helped.