Chapter 13 - ♪ Baby, you light up my world like nobody else ♪

I'm lying on my bed, the television is on, but I'm not really paying attention to it

I'm lying on my bed, the television is on, but I'm not really paying attention to it. I scroll through her page, again. I already have seen all here pictures. Not once but several times and still, I can't stop scrolling through them. 

Nathan was right a couple of years ago when he said that what happened between her and Sean did her good. I didn't understand it then. I was mostly jealous and mad at Sean at that time, but seeing her now almost every day, I knew that Nathan was right then.

She had blossomed, maybe thanks to Emma and Adalind, but she did it. She could have taken the easy road, stayed away from people. Do the same as she did in our school. Hiding. But she didn't and stepped in the spotlight. 

I always have liked Piper growing up and when we became older, she intrigued me. Every time I tried to talk to her, she blushed, and I absolutely loved it. Rosie. I wanted to be the only one that made her blush like that.

Seeing her that day, in our senior year as a cheerleader did something with me that I didn't like. I hated her for a second. And then I hated myself for feeling that for her. I didn't like that she became one of them. But I need to repeat in my head that not everyone is like Kelly.
As a 15 year old boy I was flattered when Kelly approached me, and I followed her like a lost puppy. Kelly was the head cheerleader in our school, 3 year older than me and she wanted me. Turns out she played me. She is the main reason why I never again wanted to date a cheerleader.

Over the past years I slept with some girls but stayed away from them, the cheerleaders, or the girls that just wanted to sleep with a football player. But Piper never left my mind, and I kept following her on her Instagram. Sometimes I called Nathan just to hear him talk about her. I was jealous of him when he befriended her. 

When he called me last year to see if I was interested to transfer here, I never thought twice about it and said yes. When finally, everything was settled with both schools and my scholarship I counted down the days till I would see her again. I hoped that she didn't change too much over the years.

She did change but like Nathan said, better. Standing next to her, holding her hand in the dark hallway before they announced my name it was— I can't even describe how it felt but it felt incredibly good. Home. I squeezed her hand now and then to be sure that she really was there holding my hand. It felt unreal. Every game we played at home she was there, watching us. Always wearing one of her friends jersey. And every time I hoped to see her wearing my jersey. But for that we need to be friends. But I know that that never will happen. I keep my distance, I don't want to have hopes to become more to her. 

She won't stay. Not once she knows about— I shake my head.

Between some black leather bracelets that I bought over the years I'm still wearing the bracelet she gave Nathan. Once Nathan's sister remade it in a longer version, so I could wear it, I never took it off again, even during games I wrap a bandage around it and it's safely tucked away in my gloves during a game. It's the only way of having her close to me.