- Okay, I'll let it pass this once, but swear I'm done with all this secrecy. Is anyone else in this room mated to another fucking domestic? – Alaric asks around, turning his face to Luke, the only mateless wolf in the room.

- What? Don't look at me, like I would mate a domestic. – he says sarcastically. It might be bitter, but his heartbeat is true.

- Well, at least one of you three remained true. If I had known all this trouble would come from sending you three to River Valley, I never would've agreed in the first place. – the alpha states harshly.

- Perhaps it's better not to jump to conclusions right away, Alpha. We don't know anything about this boy. – Lawrence chimed in, setting a calming and peaceful tone to the conversation. – For instance, does he know about your abilities as a healer dear? – he wonders.

- Yes. – Maya responds honestly. – But he agreed to keep it a secret and change packs, so that shouldn't be a problem. – he adds quickly.

- What about Alpha Nathan and Yannis? Do they know about this? – Gregory was the one to speak. His adamant face displays no emotion whatsoever.

- We haven't spoken about it, but he's not a high-ranked wolf. It shouldn't be an inconvenience. – she answers.

- Well, at least she managed to find a solution that benefits us all – Convel said, surprisingly. – There's still plenty to fix and we can use more manpower, to be honest. –

- Yeah, I guess that's true. – Alaric acknowledged, taking a different tone, and reconsidering his position.

- I was hoping you'd allow me to go to River Valley today and bring him home. We would talk to Alpha Nathan and Yannis of course. – Maya asked for permission.

Alaric's eyes narrowed, staring at the healer cautiously as if contemplating whether to let her go or not. Although to be honest, Convel did make some good points. We could always use more help to rebuild this place. Seconds passed and still no answer, I could hear the blonde's heart starting to spike a little from the nerves.

- Fine. I suppose you can go. – he agreed. – But I want you back before sunset at 19:00, do you hear me? – he said firmly.

- Yes alpha. – the healer responded with relief.

- Caleb, could you as your mate to accompany her? He knows River Valley well and is the Alpha's son. Perhaps he could help ease the news and create an agreement in which this boy joins the Lazarus pack. – he says with his usual baritone tone. At least, he is not angry anymore.

- Of course, sir. I'll ask him. – I respond, and he nods approvingly. Nathan is still going to school either way, I'm sure he won't mind keeping an eye on Maya.

- Good. –

- What? That's nonsense. I'm more than capable of speaking for myself. This is my mate we are talking about, if anyone is going to speak to the Alphas is us. Besides, I'm stronger than Nathan, I can defend myself just fine. – she argues, clearly offended.

- Maya, you're a healer. It's only protocol. – Lawrence chimed in, trying to comfort her.

- So, what? – she says, upset.

- Maya... – Gregory tries calming her, but it only adds salt to the wound.

- No! Everyone keeps treating me like I'm a fragile butterfly but I'm not. I don't need a babysitter to bring my mate home. – she bursts out enraged. I've never seen her this angry before.

Alaric slams his fist on the desk strongly, even cracking the wood, making everyone's head turn around. His nose where flaring and he had furious eyes as his imponent body stood up from his chair. Maya may have just crossed a limit right there. He pointed at the healer and spoke with discontent.