Chapter 10

Although slightly damp and humid, grass proved to act as a good cushion; a blanket to the earth and its secrets beneath. The sky was a perfect shade of light blue, clouds placed here and there that thankfully shielded the sun. A slight bustling could be heard in the distance - that of the city not far from where they were laying - but they barely paid attention to it.

Little bugs scurried across the grass around them, almost crushing them, but it was all worth it for that refreshing and relaxing feeling they once experienced when they were much younger. When life had been so simple.

It didn't feel strange for the master of earth to be so close to his element, but for Jay, who was master of an element in the skies, he was finding a new connection with nature. It was helping to calm his nerves and mind greatly. There had been too many distractions lately. Too much stress.

But that was just the ordinary life of a ninja.

If only their lives reflected that of the little bugs and clouds. If only they didn't need a care in the world. If only they could lay here forever and not have to worry about anything.

Jay's head turned to the right slightly, almost colliding with the leaf of one of his favourite flowers. The lightning master had never taken a liking to such plants despite admiring them from afar, but now he could stare at one up close, noticing every little detail about the petals, the pigments, and every little creature that passed by it. This wasn't just some plant he liked the look of but a home to so many, much like the home he had. It may seem like nothing compared to someone so much bigger, but it meant a lot to those smaller.

Bluebells did look nice, though.

Not far from it, blue could see the petals from another flower, but this time admired by the boy beside him. Lilies had always been Cole's favourite, especially since they reminded him of his mother, but there was something so graceful and elegant about them; something so pure.

"Good morning, bluebell," Jay felt a pair of strong arms wrap around his torso.

Jay almost choked on the warm tea in his mouth, swallowing quickly so as to not accidentally spit it out everywhere. He placed his mug down gently on the kitchen counter, lifting an arm up to rest on one of the arms securing him.

"Hey," Jay smiled, leaning his head back to rest on the chest of the person behind him.

"Anybody else awake yet?"

"Not that I've heard."

Cole took the opportunity to lean down and press a gentle kiss on Jay's cheek, earning a soft giggle from the boy in blue.

Man, it felt good to not have to hold back anymore.

"Be careful, wouldn't want anyone walking in on us," Jay warned.

"That's why I asked if you'd seen anyone," Cole replied, letting go of his hold, "besides, it's still pretty early, I doubt anyone else is awake. Speaking of which, I'm surprised you're up so early. You usually sleep in."

Jay shrugged as Cole made his way around the kitchen counter, aiming for the fridge.

"Couldn't really sleep."

"Because of last night?" his head turned to show off the wide grin on his face.

Jay rolled his eyes, "perhaps."

"Me neither," he spoke, opening the fridge and grabbing a carton of orange juice.

"Got any ideas for today?"

Jay frowned, "what do you mean?"

Cole finished setting up his morning drink - having orange juice as soon as he wakes up was always a daily routine for him, ever since he was a child. It was something his mom had engraved in his brain. Vitamin C is important, especially for strength.