Chapter 7

If it wasn't for their radios going off at 6am, they would've had a completely peaceful night. Although it only grew colder as the moon fully rose, they huddled up to one another for hours, enjoying their shared warmth from the fire, which soon died out. It was a good job they found those berries too.

To their dismay, Lloyd requested they head back towards the main tournament building. Considering the team were supposed to be avoiding Chen and his goons, both Jay and Cole were confused but decided not to question it. They tidied up in the abandoned building they'd spent the night in, making sure the fire was out properly and that they left no belongings behind - not that they really had anything with them anyway - and took out on their vehicles. Jay's mech seemed to be working completely fine after its repairs, especially considering he didn't test it. Cole just loved using his earth driller.

The current situation was unknown to them. They could run into anyone or anything so they had to make sure they were fully prepared. The pair did have fun coming up with wild ideas.

"Perhaps they just gave up?" Jay suggested, briefly glancing over at Cole in his driller.

Cole chuckled, trying not to seem too rude, " give up ? Have you met Chen's Army?"

Jay shrugged, "I dunno, maybe they realised how great elemental masters we are and thought 'there's no way we can beat them. Let's stand down lads'."

" Let's stand down, lads ?" Cole laughed again, but this time louder.

"Hey, don't laugh," Jay shot him a look, a grin upon his face.

"Try thinking of something more realistic," Cole responded, "Lloyd and a few others probably just ran into them and took them out or something. Or they need us all to meet in one spot so we can battle it out."

"Where's the fun in thinking of it realistically?" Jay raised an eyebrow.

"It being realistic doesn't mean it's not fun. I for one am excited for a big fight," Cole told him.

"No, you're just making it sound boring," Jay retorted, "you're so dull."

" Dull ? You're the one who called me interesting last night."

Jay was quiet for a moment, trying to focus on the trees ahead of him. It was clear to Cole that he was trying to think of a response - and obviously failing - but Jay was just tired of his stupid remarks. They were dumb, very fun, but there was no way he'd admit that. Because, of course, Cole could never be fun.

Cole took the silence as a way of winning the argument, something that didn't happen often. It felt sort of tranquil, thinking back to all the fights they'd had, some not even a week earlier, that ended in them hating each other. There was something so relieving about it.

Oh, how he loved not fighting.

"It was...a moment of weakness," Jay finally responded in a hushed tone.

"Uh huh."

"But back to the original topic," the blue ninja spoke up, "try to think about something more unrealistic. Something so crazy that it wouldn't actually happen."

"Give an example."

"Chen turned into a snake."

Cole burst into laughter, almost losing control of his vehicle.

Jay shot him another unimpressed look, "usually I'd be impressed that you're laughing at something I said so much but I'm feeling more like it's an insult than a compliment."

"It's so dumb," he struggled to catch his breath.

"I don't know, man," Jay shrugged, a slight grin wiping across his lips, "we still don't know what that spell in Clouse's spell book is."

"And you think it's gonna turn them all into snakes?" Cole questioned, humour in his tone.

"Not literally," Jay rolled his eyes, "but it's not entirely impossible. His entire army have Anacondrai tattoos, do they not?"

"You're right there," the black ninja finally caught his breath.