Chapter 4

No matter how hard they argued with Clouse, it wasn't going to change what they had to face. Even with Neuro's help, it was pointless. All that work Cole had gone through to try and fix things with Jay, although Jay still hated his guts, was all a waste.

Because of this stupid tournament, the team were going to be split apart even further. None of them thought it was possible until now.

What made Cole angrier, however, was that the fight brackets didn't even say that earlier. Just a few hours prior, Jay was set up to fight the master of sound - Jacob - and Cole was supposed to fight the master of form - Chamille.

Now it read lightning vs earth.

It made sense; it was all part of Chen's place to split them up. Pitting the two with the weakest bond against each other was something they should've seen coming, and perhaps if it were to happen last night, the two would've been more grown up about it. Except it wasn't last night and they weren't on the best of terms whatsoever. But as Cole continued punching the dummy in front of him - a picture of Jay's dumb face plastered on it - he couldn't help but feel a lump grow in his throat, a strange feeling arising in his chest.

Was it nerves?

Luckily in his attempt to stop the fight, Neuro discovered Chen's secret. Whatever was on page 149 of Clouse's spell book was said to be dangerous. Although they had no idea what it could be as of right now, at least they had an idea of where to start. It just meant the fight had to go on.

Jay and Cole were shoved into small cells on opposite sides of the fighting arena. They'd been beating dummies for almost an hour while the other tournament contestants arrived in their seats. Jay refused glances, but Cole took every chance he could to glance over at the blue ninja.

His mind kept drifting back to the events of the previous night.

"I'm gonna look so dumb with that on my face."

Cole smiled too, "nah, you'll look cute."

As Jay's head spun to look at Cole, their eyes locked for a moment, the earth ninja instantly looked away after realising what he'd said. A slight feeling of regret set into his chest as he struggled to open the plaster.

"Uh- I mean-" Cole cleared his throat, "it'd suit you, y'know?"

What happened? They were getting on so well, even if it was just for a few hours, and now they were here about to actually fight. It almost made zero sense and no matter how hard Cole attempted to come up with a reason why they didn't just agree to forget it right then and there, he couldn't think of anything.

But even if they did, would they still have had to fight?

Sighing, Cole turned to look over at the opposing cell. Kai was stood facing Lloyd - who was accompanying Cole - while Jay continued attacking the dummy with Cole's face attached. He was beating the living daylights out of it and he swore he could almost hear Jay cursing. After driving a few punches, he stepped back, letting a large zap finish the dummy off.

Cole wasn't sure why it pissed him off so much. Why couldn't Jay just move on? Why was he so mad? Why didn't Jay care ? The fact he was willing to risk the team, and their mission, for some dumb fight that should've been over ages ago - or shouldn't have even started in the first place - made the pit in Cole's chest deeper. But this time it wasn't plagued with confusion and guilt. He was angry.

If Jay wanted to play at that game, then so would he.

With a grunt, Cole began attacking his dummy too, attempting to make twice as much noise as the lightning ninja. He threw punches and kicks, but nothing was taking away the ache. It was only a matter of time before Cole's spinjitzu destroyed the dummy altogether.