Chapter 9

If that stupid alarm hadn't gone off, who knows where the night would've led. It felt like they were in that vacant building for hours, staring at that dumb shop, waiting for it to be robbed. Considering they were supposed to be stopping crimes from happening, it felt very weird to just watch it happen. Except they didn't see it. The only thing they were seeing was each other's eyes. Again .

"Just wait a little longer, okay?"

It didn't stop circling his mind. What exactly did Cole mean by that? Well, it was obvious, but maybe Jay was just overthinking it? Perhaps he was just imagining Cole wanting to kiss him back? He'd never even properly admitted it, but it was so frustrating. Why did everything come in their way? Did the universe not want them to be together?

If Jay actually had the confidence to just do it, when they were alone and staring at each other like their lives depended on it, this all would've been over by now. What would they be doing? Going on dates? Telling the team? God, how would the team even react ? What would Nya say?

Did Cole even want to be with him like that? Or was this just what best friends do? Does Cole even like guys?

This was probably the least of the blue ninja's concerns right now, especially since they'd failed their missions and let the criminal get away. He should be out looking. He should be checking CCTV cameras around the city. But instead, he found himself sitting at the kitchen counter at 10pm, staring at a raw pot noodle in front of him. Finding the energy to cook anything even half decent this late at night was difficult on any normal day, let alone after what had happened just a few hours prior.

The drive back to the Destiny's Bounty was pretty silent. It wasn't necessarily awkward, not regarding the almost kiss anyway - or how Cole had kissed his cheek, but Jay was choosing not to think about that - but the two had separated when they got inside, Cole heading to his room to presumably shower. Jay hadn't left his seat in the kitchen for what felt like hours.

What was he going to do? What was he supposed to say?

"I guess there's just something so.. captivating... about you."

The way Cole had said that drove Jay insane . Everything about the way Cole spoke to him so softly and patiently, and looking at him as if he was the greatest thing he'd ever laid his eyes on.. Shit .

It was so obvious Cole liked him, it was the entire time, ever since that first night on the island when they locked eyes. It was the only reason he wanted to fix things between them. The only reason he offered to help him clean up his cut. He wanted to get close to Jay. Even that first day they escaped and Jay was working on his mech, Cole left his group collecting food to sit with Jay instead.

"Watching you do stuff like lighting that fire, as simple as it may be, there's something oddly fascinating about it. The way you're capable of just doing whatever your mind puts you to is really amazing. It's something I've always admired about you."

The way Cole had wanted so badly to make it up to Jay, and apologise for everything even after the fight... the way Cole had been so interested in Jay's past, and asking about his parents and his childhood like nobody had before... the way Cole opened up to him so easily about his own parents... Cole wanted Jay to sit next to him... the way he put his arm around him...

"Careful, you're starting to sound like you're obsessed with me."

He was obsessed but Cole was even more obsessed with him .

It was under his nose this entire time. But if only one of them had the guts to be honest.

"Hello? Earth to lightning?"