Hot Spring

Zald sat inside his cabin, a tired look on his face as he watched the fire crackle. Not even the wood snapping could snap him out of his stupor.

His thoughts ran wild with memories of Bell growing up. From when he was first born to the day he left. All the memories came flooding back to him.

Reading the kid stories, teaching him how to hunt. Teaching him how to use a sword while Alfia trained him in magic.

He remembered all of it.

But his mind also wandered to the torture he was suffering right now, whatever that may be. He couldn't imagine what Bell would be like when they got him back.

Would he still be the same? His dreams of the Long Night preparing him for misery such as that. Or would he be worse off, a shell of his former self?

Zald didn't want to know the answer. Well, he did, but he was hoping to everything that was holy that the first one was true. That Bell would still be the same despite the hardships he went through.

He was snapped out of his thoughts by an incessant tapping on the window. Turning his gaze away from the fire and to the window, he saw a raven tapping its beak against the glass.

Zald saw the letter attached to its leg and quickly got out of his chair. He walked to the window and nearly threw it open before grabbing the letter.

The raven, seeing its job was done, flew away as Zald shut the window. He hurriedly moved back to his chair while opening the letter. Once he read it, he immediately got back up and grabbed his sword, rushing out of the cabin and to Hera's office.

Dear Zald

I need your help. Orario has been weakened by Evilus and has been prone to terror attacks. The Empire is also building its forces on the roads to Orario. I need you to bring a contingent of reinforcements to Orario to help us prepare for this war.

I know it will take time for you to get here, and we'll hold out for as long as we can. But we need your help.

Bell has also sent me a letter telling me not to come for him. So I can only hope he'll come back to us soon.

Get here safely
Alfia
.
.
.
.

"Congratulations, Raul, you've leveled up," Loki said, smiling. Despite everything that had happened, Loki allowed herself to be happy for Raul.

Raul felt a sense of joy as he put his shirt back on. Despite losing an eye and nearly dying, he had finally leveled up. He was now a first-class adventurer.

"Hard to believe I'm finally a first class. I don't feel much different, though." Raul said, putting his shirt back on.

"Well, with everything you've been through recently, that's to be expected. So you walking alright without your cane?" Loki asked, sitting on her desk.

Raul nodded. "Yup, I have most of my mobility back. I still have trouble using my sword and depth perception, but hey, what can you do."

"Well, don't worry too much about it. You're still healing. Don't be in such a rush to get back out there."

"But shouldn't I? With Evilus terror attacks and the possibility of war, shouldn't I be working on getting back to a hundred percent?"

Loki gently smiled before getting off her desk and placing a hand on Raul's shoulder. "You should, but after you're able to get used to your disability. I don't want you getting hurt even worse if you're not fully ready."

Raul let out a disappointed sigh. "Alright, Loki, I'll take it easy."

Loki frowned and ruffled his hair. "I'm not saying stop, I'm saying slow down. Wait til you gather a little more of your strength first before training like hell."