Wake up

Bell laid in a hospital bed. Alfia sat by his side, watching the slow and steady rise and fall of his chest. She almost hadn't made it, and if she didn't, she wouldn't know how to live with herself.

The Dea Saint, or as Airmid as Alfia called her, worked around the clock to save Bell's life. Many of his ribs were broken, and his brain was damaged and bleeding. The bones in his right hand were shattered but not beyond repair.

Airmid was able to fix it, but he'd be in a cast for a few days. Surprisingly, his neck was fine and didn't need any repair. To which Alfia let out a sigh of relief.

She ran her fingers through her soft white hair that reminded her of snow. She was grateful he was alright, and she would do a better job looking out for him.

From now on, he wasn't allowed to leave her sight. Even if she had to tie him to her, he would not leave her sight again. Too many risks if he did.

Met laid at the edge of his bed, her head resting on his legs. Silver sat on Alfia's shoulder, looking down at his owner. He let out something akin to a whimper, and Alfia scratched the top of his head to comfort him.

"I know, buddy. But he's alright and will wake up soon," Alfia softly said. Silver let out another whimper before lying down.

The door to the hospital room creaked open, and Alicia poked her head in.

"Um, Ms. Alfia. Is it alright if we visit?" Alicia nervously asked.

Alfia turned her head to the door and stared at the timid elf.

"Sure, come on in children. You are Bell's friends, after all," Alfia said.

Alica, Raul, Aki, and Cruz all walked into the room. Narvi and Lefiya weren't with the group as those two hadn't met Bell yet.

Alicia felt her breath catch in her throat, seeing Bell unconscious and covered in bandages. Raul felt guilty at his lack of action when Bell was being hurt. If only he were stronger and not so cowardly.

Alfia's words rang through his mind again. About him sacrificing himself to save a loved one. He still doesn't know the answer, but he at least wanted to help Bell in his fight.

That had to count for something, right?

Aki placed a comforting hand on Raul's shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. She knew he was beating himself up about not helping Bell. Aki herself felt the same, but she knew there was nothing she could do. They were simply outmatched.

She was astonished at Bell's skill in combat to be able to hold out as long as he did, and he would've held out longer if not for their capture. If only they stayed away.

But they couldn't do that. Bell was their teammate and would soon be a good friend. They couldn't just leave him alone to a fate unknown. They couldn't, wouldn't do that.

Cruz gritted his teeth, looking at Bell. He had seen deaths and injuries so many times before, but the pain never went away. He took a deep breath and looked at the unmoving body of Bell. He heard what happened from Aki, but he still had trouble believing it.

A zombie came and kicked his ass. That just isn't possible. But Aki, Raul, and Alicia. All said it was plus Alfia, so he was inclined to believe them. Especially if it came from the silence. She was known not to kid around about anything.

"Is he gonna be alright?" Alicia asked.

Alfia looked at the elf girl and saw the concern she held her in eyes for her nephew. Alfia felt a tiny bit of happiness knowing Bell was able to make some friends here.