Twenty

And just like that, summer began and Nami had to start reminding herself that she was now a senior in high school; one year from graduating to college.

Vivi and Usopp voiced their intentions to make the most out of this summer break before she went off to Mary Geoise, but all three of them knew that these next few months wouldn't really be considered a break. They each had their own goals for college, and it was already time to start preparing for applications.

Nevertheless, they took this weekend to decompress and go out to the downtown shopping center.

"Jeez, it's been a while since you were free for a whole day," Vivi complained. "You know how much work it took me to plan this?"

Nami grinned sheepishly. "I appreciate it."

"Never mind that," Usopp said. "There's a new bakery that opened. We should try it."

"Are you talking about Whole Cake Bakery?" Nami asked. "It's still opening week. I bet we'll have to wait behind a mile-long line to get something."

"Not if we utilize our connections," he suggested.

Vivi frowned. "What are you even talking about?"

"You see, Mrs. Lin Lin's son owns the shop, and I happen to be in her good graces," he said confidently.

Nami sighed. "Usopp, no one is in that woman's good graces."

"Oh, come on," he said. "I have decent grades in her class, and she doesn't yell at me!"

"That's a bit of a reach," Vivi said.

"But it's worth a shot."

"Is it?"

"Think about it!" he exclaimed. "What have we got to lose? We have a chance at getting at the front of the line. Hell, maybe we can even get a discount."

"You're delusional."

"You just have to play your cards right. Follow me!"

They trekked up a couple of escalators and navigated through the crowd rushing to the food court. The upper floor of the shopping center was bustling with high schoolers. Ever since the place was renovated, it became a popular site for summer trips.

Palm trees have been planted in large pots in the center of the wide walkway; there was even a fountain sitting near the railing that lined the edge overlooking the city and mountain range. It was a new fountain, so there were only a few pennies that rested at the bottom of the pool.

From here, Nami saw the end of the line for what she assumed was Whole Cake. She recognized a bit more than half of them from Grand Line and other high schools in the area.

"It seems like your idea wasn't very original," Nami remarked. "I bet they all got forced to the back of the line for trying to negotiate their way in."

Usopp scoffed. "That's because these bozos aren't even in her class."

Vivi crossed her arms. "And you reckon Mrs. Lin Lin's son is going to recognize you for being a somewhat decent student?"

"It's worth a shot," he retorted.

"Suit yourself," Vivi said, dismissing him with a wave. "I'll save myself the embarrassment and wait at the back."

"Fine," he said smugly. "Once I get my chocolate pastry, I'll be waiting for you guys."

Nami rolled her eyes. "Sure thing."

He turned around and began jogging down the line. Nami and Vivi inched slowly forward, taking in the new scenery of the area.

"Isn't it nice to relax every once in a while?" Vivi asked.