Eight

"Nami!"

She heard footsteps approaching her fast; they were obnoxiously loud. As she turned around, she caught Luffy running towards her. He was drawing a lot of eyes toward them, and she didn't like the attention. Her ears heated up from the second-hand embarrassment.

She stopped walking and let him catch up. Vivi gave her a skeptical glance, so she gestured for her to keep going.

"I'll catch up with you later," she promised.

Vivi nodded and continued.

Luffy skidded to a stop and put his hands on his knees. "God, you're impossible to find."

"What is it, Luffy?" she asked coldly. "6th period will start any time now."

"I just wanted to make sure we're still meeting up at Baratie Burgers after school today," he said.

"No, we're not."

"Oh. Then, where do you want to meet up?"

Nami closed her eyes for a few seconds to brace herself. "I can't tutor you anymore."

He stilled himself, unable to reply.

"I hope you did well on that test, Luffy."

She turned to leave, but Luffy took her hand. It didn't feel forceful; it felt gentle and apologetic.

"I'm sorry that I'm hard to teach, but can you give me a second chance?" he asked. "I swear I'm getting better."

Her heart sank to her stomach. "No, it's not that."

"Then why not?"

"I'm... getting busy."

It wasn't a lie.

"Look," she added. "I asked Mr. Newgate and the substitute math teacher to grade your tests early. If you pass them, you'll be ready to go on Saturday."

"Nami..."

"I'm sorry. I'm sure there are other people who can help you. Ask Hancock."

Then she turned around and speed-walked without looking back. Luckily, he didn't follow her. She had to leave fast. If she stayed another second, she might have told him everything.

Luffy might not seem like it at first, but he can be a smart guy. Without her, he would manage.

As soon as she entered Mr. Shanks' class, she plopped into her seat and rested her head face-down on the desk.

"Geez, you look like your best friend just died," Koala jested.

Nami looked up at her, unamused.

Her eyes widened. "Did they?"

"No."

Sabo chimed in. "Is tutoring Luffy bothering you that much?"

"You too?" Nami groaned. "How many people know about that?"

"Well, I'm on the team."

"Are you also going to ask me if Luffy is coming Saturday?"

He shook his head. "I'm willing to bet you've been asked that plenty of times already. Luffy can catch me up later."

She managed a small smile. "Yeah, thanks."

"But seriously," he added. "If Luffy is being an asshole, let me know. I'll talk to him."

"Don't worry. It's not anything like that."

She went home immediately after school and tensed when she opened the door to find her dad sprawled across the couch watching TV. He was dead serious about staying home to make sure she came back on time.