FOUR

FADE

My name is Fadekemi Ajike Adepoju. At this time, I was just 16 years old. Straight out the secondary school. I had just finished my WAEC, and luckily for me, I had written my JAMB this year and passed with 257.

My best friend Shindara Akobaje had also taken the same JAMB and had passed with 222. She was sad already about it because we had both prepared for it together. Now, we were expecting our WAEC results.

As we walked down our street, where we both grew up, other kids called us and greeted us. We were quite famous because not only were we beautiful, we were smart, or at least, I was.

Shindara was good but she struggled with her studies and always had to put in extra efforts.

"Shin Shin oyoyo". One boy chanted as we walked by.

My mom had sent us to buy her chilled orobo Pepsi from the next shop but because we wanted to walk around more, we went to the next street.

"That boy is fine ooo". Shindara whispered in my ear.

I looked at the boy blushing, I also did like him. Not only was he fine, he also always dressed well and I heard he was a top student in their school.

"Hmmm... You like him abi". I teased her and she blushed.

"Shebi the two of you are close, help me na". She begged me, and once again, I looked over at him.

I sighed! I also liked him. However, she was the first to reveal that she liked him so, I had no choice. She was my best friend anyways.

"I've heard!"

When we got home that day, my mom yelled at us for going so far.

"I don't know for the two of you ooo.... Kilode gan! Even the Pepsi is not cold again". My mom went on and on and on.

Eventually, she let us go.

After Shindara left for her house that day, I went to Francis house. My mom allowed me go to his house, she said he was a good influence.

So, at Francis house, me and him sat down in their sitting room going over a book.

"Shebi you people have written your WAEC, what are you reading for again?" Mummy Francis asked as she caught us reading.

Actually, the book was just a lie for us to hang out. We both smiled as she went to the kitchen, it was about that time to start cooking for her husband.

"See Francis, Shindara said she liked you". I whispered, not wanting anyone to hear.

He dropped the pen in his hand and looked at me, hurt! I wondered what I had done wrong. If he doesn't like her back, he could just say it na.

"Shin Shin? Stop na, you know I like you Kemi, why would you now be saying your friend likes me and all that?".

I was surprised. I never knew he liked me, yes, he did stuffs for me but I thought he was just being a good friend.

"But she likes you". I told him sadly.

He sighed. "You nko? Do you like me?" He asked me.

I stared at him, with a heavy heart and lied through my teeth. "No! You are just my friend".

That night, I cried my eyes out like never before. Who could I have told that it was because of a boy? My mom would have even beaten me on top of the matter.

Shindara and I kept hanging out, while I kept avoiding Francis. I didn't go over to his place anymore and he didn't bother coming to mine.

Everytime I saw him, my heart was always beating fast, I was always scared he would come and talk to me but he always never had the chance. Either someone was there with me, or I personally just act like I didn't see him.

Shindara wouldn't stop asking me if I have told him and I didn't know how to tell her that he didn't like her, he liked me. So, I kept lying to her that I haven't told him.

It was a really difficult week for me but one day, as I went to the back of the house to throw out dirt, Francis crept up on me.

I almost screamed but he quickly covered my mouth to stop me.

"Kemi, why have you been avoiding me na?". He asked me.

I looked away from him, I couldn't tell him the truth.

"I have not". I replied him.

"So why did you not come to our house to read?" He asked.

I could tell on his face how unhappy he was about this but how do I explain all of these to Shindara for her to understand.

"We have nothing to read for again". I told him sharply, still avoiding his eyes.

"Is that why you have been coming? To just read?" He asked me.

I twisted my fingers in each other as I looked up at him and looked away again. I shook my head slowly, reluctantly speaking up.

"Shindara would kill me". I told him.

He sighed. "Shin Shin? Again? Shebi I already told you I don't like her!" He told me.

I nodded. "But..."

I wasn't sure if I should tell him or not.

"But what?" he asked, I said nothing.

"Look at me". He said and I did. "But what?" He asked again.

"The thing is that, I like you too but Shindara would kill me". I whined.

He caught this smile on his face which he immediately hid, trying to make a straight face.

"Tell her, she is your best friend. She would understand". He told me but I didn't respond.

He took my hand in his and smiled "so you like me". He teased me.

I blushed hard, looking away again. We spent the entire time stealing glances at each other both of us blushing.

Eventually, he had to leave.

"Let me come and be going. Come to my house to read ooo...We still have post utme". He told me.

I nodded and watched him walk away. The next thing now was how to tell Shin Shin that I was now Francis girlfriend.

She really would kill me.