Chapter 44

Hospital
1995
Marshall's POV

Angelo called Adina's work place instead ...I figured that who ever would have told her she got a call would say who it's from...and I know she probably wouldn't wanna talk to me...even though it's about fuckin' time—Ay, I ain't gon' rush her at all. And I'm trying not too, even though I used to call her constantly. I just miss her....at least I know she's on her way, so lmma be able to see her—But I'm nervous as fuck. It's the same feelin I felt at the funeral when I saw her again.

I called and informed, Denaun, Rufus, and Von about everything and currently, Von's on his way and so is Denaun.

I had asked Denaun if I should call Deshaun and tell him too...he said I could if I wanted but maybe it might not be the best idea since he's goin' through what he's goin' through. That's pretty much what I thought as well.

But he also thinks Deshaun might be upset with me for not tellin' him now... and ion want that. I'd rather let him know.

Ion even know if he'll answer the fuckin' phone anyway... I could at least check up on him though—So that's what I'm finna do.

I got up from my chair, makin my way outside from the waiting room.

The nurses told us to go back into the waiting room after we saw Bugz...he had excessive blood loss from the gun shot wound meanin' they had to give Bugz a blood transfusion and they're workin on doin more soon.

I ain't think we'd had to leave for that but that's what they told us and we had to follow rules.

Bugz was shot right on the side of his torso, pretty close to his underarm. Meanin' his ribs was fractured as well.

He'll be left here for another day or two for any breathing exercises, and pain control, healing, etcetera, etcetera.

They've told us everything is going smoothly so far. Which is a blessing.

I still feel shame that I was practically the reason this shit happened... and again—How I lied about who was involved, I just can't get over it honestly....But like I said, I swear on Ronnie's grave if I ever see them two mothafuckas again I'll handle it. Ion care who I'm with—Who they with—It don't matter, yo.

It's fucked up how them mothafuckas just ran away like that—Like two lil fuckin' punk ass bitches. Pathetic.

...My head was still hurtin' this mornin' from when I hit it durin' the fight. I could feel the knot at the back of my head but I'll be aight.

This whole situation just infuriates me—and it could have totally been avoided but I wanted to start shit.

...I made my way outside, spottin a pay phone mounted onto a wall outside of the hospital before I made my way to it.

When I was at my moms, I took some money with me cause I knew I might have been makin' some calls which I probably should have made at her house but she we already forcin' me to hurry up and leave.... She made me catch a bus here instead which made me a lil late. Angelo had been waitin' for me for a while, but I got here on time enough for them to let me see Bugz.

I picked up the phone, inserted the last 25 cents that I had before I dialed Deshaun's number.

It rang for a longgg time—And honestly I was gonna just hang up, but right before I did, I heard his line come through after the ringing stopped.