I put my hand up, "No."

"What do you mean no?" She asks, her smile turning to a frown.

"Absolutely not."

"I can't go alone, not with a killer on the loose!", she exclaims. My mind seeing Malachi's face.. his perfect pout lips.. his cocky grin

"Hello!", she yells, snapping me out of my trance.

"I'm an introvert," I state.

"We are going, you and I. Don't make me drag you by your hair. I want to go, and I am not going without you."

I let out an irritated huff, "I'll go only if you help me here on the weekends for three weeks."

"Deal, done fucking deal," she says with excitement in her voice. What did I just get myself into?

*

Three days before Halloween

Lavender

"I look fucking ridiculous. I put you in charge of my costume because I wasn't going to have time to get one, and this is what you pick?" I ask in distaste. My tone rolling off my tongue. We stand in my small bathroom as I look over my body. "It's fitting, sexy librarian. Didn't even have to get the glasses as a prop!" She replies with far too much confidence. She picked out a white button down top that is cropped so my soft belly is exposed, accompanied by a black leather pencil skirt that's far too tight for my liking. She did my hair up with a claw clip with a few tendrils falling in front of my face. She put a pencil in my ear as well.. this is fucking embarrassing. "Was the leather skirt and pencil really necessary?" I ask, frowning at myself in the mirror. "Stop it you look hot, and lord knows you need to get laid. I'm manifesting it." I push past her, trying to hike up this god awful skirt so I can pee. Of course she looks phenomenal. Her costume is a French maid outfit looking like it's straight out of a damn porn. With her little white bonnet and black thigh highs.. she just.. Bianca can wear a brown paper bag and look amazing. A literal walking runway model. "You look amazing, now hurry up and let's go, it's party time!"

*

In the midst of the night, the town hall and courtyard on the side shine bright with orange and purple string lights. The music blares from the speakers and I can hear 'Spiderwebs' by No Doubt blaring from where we are streets away. Bianca is in her giddy mood, skipping and smiling as we walk towards the building. It's what you would think a town hall building would look like, pale stones making up the three story building. American flags hang around it, along with police cars surrounding the front. Nothing bad can happen here is what I tell myself. Bianca weaves her arm in mine as we walk the sidewalk toward the huge building, following behind other people all decked out in their costumes. So far on our small stroll I saw a vampire, a cat, a prisoner, and a person with a scream mask on. I still have my hopes on seeing someone dressed as Chucky, he's my all time favorite, but for now I'm focused on one thing, and one thing alone. Fun. I want to have fun, maybe get a little drunk to ease my inner introvert, because right now I'm feeling out of place. I know that's why Malachi and I fit so well. We were never afraid to be honest about anything, we were outcasts in a sense.. maybe not me.. but on the inside that's how I felt... and still do.

Bianca pulls me towards the courtyard, walking past the town hall building. The tall large white fence blocks view of all the partiers inside, but not the music. She unclasps the opening and we walk through. There are people everywhere, holding their drinks and swaying to the music. "I..I can't," I say, trying to pull away from Bianca's hold, but she pulls me in tighter. "You are fine, let's go get a drink." A surge of anxiety creeps its way due to the big crowd and loudness. What was I thinking? She pulls me over to the bar set up on the left, "Two white wines please," she says to the bartender, who is dressed up like Frankenstein. He nods, pulling the bottle from underneath. Bianca turns from the bar, putting her elbows against the top. "Let's just get drunk and have a good time. I know how you feel in crowds, but it's our town," she stops, pointing over to Sanders. "Look there, Sanders is here. We have nothing to worry about. There are cops amongst us." The thought does put me at a slight ease, but my mind isn't here. It's somewhere else, it's as if I'm dissociating from the situation..