Chapter 4

October 2023

Lavender

"Hello!", I hear a yell in my fogged brain. I feel a sting of a pinch that pricks my upper arm. "You left me upstairs and never came back up! What is wrong with you?! Did you not read the fucking news?!" She yells again, my eyes trying to pry themselves open. I swat her away as I can feel her inching closer to my face, "Yes.. the cops came in the middle of the night," I pause. I stand from the chair, wobbling from my unstable balance, "What time is it?" I ask, walking towards the counter.

"11:00."

"Oh fuck!", I yell.

"Maybe you should have made an alarm on that nifty little gadget," Bianca says sarcastically, pointing to her wrist.

"Seriously not the time for you. If you're going to help me set up for the day you can stay, if you're going to pester me, you have to go. I have a business to run."

"Am I getting paid?", she asks with a smirk.

"Stop messing around and help me set up the table outside!"

She brushes past me, walking towards the back room to retrieve the tables to set up outside, so we can lay out the current hot best sellers. "Um.. what in the.." I hear from behind me. "No time for your bullshit Bianca, pull it out and let's get a move on it," I say, while trying to tidy up the counter. "No Lav, come here now, I'm going to be sick.." She states lowly. I roll my eyes before treading to the back room, and when I see it, I stop dead in my tracks. "What.. how did that get in here? Why is it mutilated?" She asks, pointing to the dead bird in the middle of the room. The wings have been removed from the poor thing, and its white body lay lifeless. "I'll take care of it, you go," I demand, with a voice that shudders.

"What's going on? You told me you found a dead dove yesterday.."

"Nothing.. it's someone's sick way of playing a prank on me or something," I reply dryly.

"Lav.. we need to call the police."

"Just.." I pause, "Just stop. I'll take care of it," I snap a little too harshly.

Bianca gives me a side glance that screams, you're hiding something, but I decide to just keep my mouth shut about it. There's no point in confiding in her, when her mind is closed and distracted. She carries the black foldable table out of the room, whisking by and stomping out. I take a deep breathe before pulling books from the shelves to put on display outside. It's Sunday and Sundays are my busiest days.. and with Halloween only three days away I decide to pull kids Halloween books out. If I can lure the children in with books, I'm sure to lore the adults, making it a good funding day. "Tables good boss," Bianca says, saluting me like I'm a drill sergeant. "Thank you private," I reply with a smirk.

*

Sunday like I knew was a steady busy day, with customers in and out and the register chinging every few minutes. It's almost eight, and I know its about time to lock up, but I don't want it to be night..

"You did good today toots," Bianca states, walking over to the counter and leaning on it with her arm. "Yes, that it was," I say, taking the money from the register and counting. I can feel her eyes on me, her body practically jolting, "What is it?" I ask, not even looking up at her. We skips around the counter with excitement, like a child on Christmas morning.

"Well there's a party..."

"There's a party," I repeat.

"A Halloween party, and I know it's your favorite holiday.." She pauses.

"I don't know if Halloween is technically a holiday, but go on."

"Well it's at the town hall in the court yard and inside, it's going to be decorated and fun. We get to dress up, and drink and.."