For Lily. And Faith. (Final)

Start from the beginning

Sunny was only able to carry back about three boxes to her apartment. The first thing she did was call Catriona to come and pick her up. Her aunt was a bit caught off guard by the sudden phone call, but didn't question it. She was there, with Dia in the driver's seat, in about three hours.

"Bigby, I..." Sunny felt the words get caught in her throat. She thought about telling him what she had found but felt wrong to do it over the phone. "I really appreciate you giving me a call. You didn't have to do that."

"I found some time," Bigby told her. "It's been an insane 24 hours, but no one's trying to kill each other... at least for now."

Sunny let out a sad laugh. "Don't go jinxing it."

The two of them said their goodbyes. Sunny walked back down the stairs. Dia had taken Liena outside to play with some of the other children.

"She's growing so fast," Sunny thought.

Sunny looked out to see Liena outside. Playing with the other kids. Each of them varied in size, shape, and some weren't all human.

Sunny leaned against the doorframe as she started thinking back to her own childhood. One particular memory played over in her head.

"Thought about it. Couldn't get the words out," Sunny said sadly. "I just... don't know if I trust them like that yet."

Sunny hardly remembered the context of this conversation. Some teenage nonsense that she had started venting to her father about.

"You could get in a lot of trouble if they found out you kept this from them," Her father had said. His tone wasn't exactly worried. It was more observant.

"It's just that... I might be fucking over a few people if I did it..." Sunny looked down at the floor in defeat. "You deal with people a lot. What would you do?"

The boxes didn't just have records on Fables like Beauty, Beast, and Tim. There was a decent amount of Fables that weren't living in Fabletown too. Quite a few were undocumented and looked like they went to the Crooked Man secretly for glamorous and whatnot.

And to add insult to injury, the ones outside of Fabletown were getting charged double compared to the witches on the 14th floor.

These unknown Fables were likely unaware of the bad deal they were getting. They just wanted to be left alone, and the Crooked Man had once again found a way to exploit innocent people.

Emmeual let out a tired laugh at Sunny's question. "That was a long time ago, young lady..."

"Well, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated," Sunny pressed as she rolled her eyes.

Emmeual let out a thoughtful hum. "The thing about people, Yenay, is that a lot of them prefer a comfortable lie over the unbridled truth. You go pulling at strings; you uncover things that people won't like. And most will start lashing out."

"You're not saying I should just leave it?" Sunny said in surprise. Her father had never been one to let people live in ignorance.

"I'm saying," Emmeual placed a hand on her shoulder. "Keep your composure. Be mindful of your actions. And choose your friends wisely."

The next morning, Bigby was heading to the office. He rubbed his eyes as he waited for the elevator to stop. It had been three days since the Crooked Man fell down the well, and he still hadn't gotten any sleep. It didn't help that there wasn't really any adrenalin to keep him moving. He wanted to pass out, but there was still shit to do.

Once the elevator got to his floor, he stepped out and pulled out a cigarette. He spotted Flycatcher walking down the hall.

"Hey, Sheriff," Flycatcher greeted. Bigby just nodded back. "You gonna come see the truck off? We're leaving for the Farm in a few... Thought you might want to, I don't know..."