*Chapter 03: Unexpected Musical Flashback: Car Journey of Conflicting Emotions*

Inside, I despise how much she affects me and how much I can't believe whatever is happening between us. Why does her absence still linger so vividly?

Uncle John stopped beside me, and I hopped in the car for the second time. As I settled, he asked, 'Claire, need to stop anywhere else?'

Taken aback, I glanced at him like a lost sheep. He repeated his question with understanding.

To which I replied, 'Yes, Uncle John, I just need to grab a cake for Mom from the Moon Cake and Bakery shop. Then we are good to go. Sorry for spacing out earlier.'

He nodded and started to drive the car towards the bakery shop. It's the most famous bakery in town. Aria and I frequented it for their special cheese sandwich.

"Ugh, Claire not again. You are not allowed to think about Aria Smith." I warned my brain to behave for hundred and one times.

Uncle John pulled up in front of the Moon Cake and Bakery shop. Freshly baked aroma enveloped me as I stepped out of the car, trying to cast aside the emotional weight with a deep breath.

Entering the bustling bakery, the aroma of freshly baked goods stirred memories—an emotional tug I resented.

"Ugh, why can't I just erase all my memories with her. Stop it, Claire. Stop letting thoughts of Aria invade every corner of your mind."

I've warned myself countless times, but the memories persist, taunting me with what was and what could have been.

Suppressing those thoughts, I focused on choosing the perfect cake for Mom. The friendly staff greeted me, their smiles reflecting the warmth that often accompanied my visits.

I quickly chose a beautifully decorated birthday cake for Mom and paid for it, all while being lost in thoughts as if swimming in a sea of memories.

Leaving the shop with cake in hand, a lingering melancholy clung to me.

Uncle John noticed my somber expression and asked, "Everything okay, Claire?"

I forced a smile and said, 'Yeah, just lost in thoughts. Let's head home.'

In the car, thoughts shifted between Mom's surprise and the unresolved mystery with Aria.

Touching the black box in my left pocket, for a moment, I considered tossing it out the window.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and requested, 'Uncle John, play soothing songs and set up the partition.'

Sensing my inner turmoil, Uncle John maintained a supportive silence. Without saying anything, he lowered the partition.

The partition gave some privacy as I grappled with conflicting emotions.

However, as uncle John turned on the music player and my own voice filled with excitement sounded inside the car.

Startled, I sat up straight, my shoulders tensed, and heart rate started to rise. This is the copy of the CD I had gifted to Aria on her fifteenth birthday. I considered asking Uncle John to change the songs, but I couldn't.

"Why did it have to end this way? Aria and I shared everything—secrets, dreams, even this CD playlist. Now, the unspoken tension hangs heavy, and I'm left grappling with the fragments of our shattered friendship."