Nightmare - J. Futterman

Start from the beginning

But the more we walked, the further it got, which did not make sense. Suddenly, we heard voices at the horizon. It called our names repeatedly. I couldn't recognize the voice. Everything happening in this place was just confusingly not nice. The statued Josh, the door getting further away went we walk it's direction, and now those weird sounds.

I was struggling to comprehend the situation he and I were in, and so was he. I eventually started to panic, thinking we might never make it out of here alive. Are we stuck in a infinite white place? I'll never know for the moment.

We weakly sat on the ground, exhausted from running and walking around. We decided that we should sleep for a bit. I brought myself close to him and fell asleep quickly at the contact of his body against mine.

I woke up in a sweat, as he was shaking me violently to wake me up. "What? Did something happe-" I barely had time to finish my sentence that an horde of biotechs rushing towards us, guns glued to their hands.

We stood up in a hurry and as I grasped his hand tightly, he starting running away from them rapidly, with all his speed. After a brief moment, we lost their track and thought we might've gotten away from their sight. But turns out that was only the beginning, and that they haven't lost our position yet. A loud laser gun sound was heard and before having the time to react, shot Josh on the side of his stomach.

He groaned in pain, pressing his hand against his wound, as he let himself kneel down. My eyes widened in terror as I helped him up carefully but quickly. I glanced behind me and they've disappeared, as if they've vanished.

"They've disappeared out of thin air.." I mumbled, kneeling down with him, as we struggled to catch our breaths. "Let me see your wound.." I shifted my body to take a closer look at his injury.

It was deep, and blood dripped onto his clothes, then on my hands. "Oh god..that's an ugly wound.." I lifted his shirt, to avoid a painful infection, due to the tissue.

"It hurt so bad Y/n, you gotta have something, my head is dizzy. I'll most likely pass out soon.." he whimpered in pain, pressing his hand softly on the injury. I looked everywhere, nothing could be seen. I need to find some kind of first aid kit as soon as I can, or else he'll die.

A wave of panic started washing over me, I tried vainly to hide it, but he had noticed it. "It's alright. I'll be okay, I promise, let's just keep going forward." He mumbled, caressing my cheeks with the tip of his fingers. I really wouldn't know what I'd do without him.

"I love you Josh. Hold on for me okay? We'll get out of this place together. I promise." Tears were forming in the corner of my eyes, as I held his face in my hands. He wiped my tears away and smiled. "Let's go." He whispered, standing up.

"Okay.." I whispered back, doing the same. "I really want to leave this weird place." I complain, squeezing Josh's hand in nervousness.

We started walking once more, but remained vigilant this time, as to not bring a lot of attention towards us. My eyelids grew heavy after walking for what seemed like eternity. But I couldn't just start to sleep when Josh was on the verge of death. I fought besides the difficulties and didn't stop walking.

"Are you tired? You need to rest if you are." He blurted out, stopping in his track. "No no, you're injured, let's keep walking and find a way to escape first." I shushed him, before pulling him behind me.