Nightmare - J. Futterman

✮✮

𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄

𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄

I opened my eyelids slowly, my blurry vision getting clearer. I couldn't recognize the room I was standing in, and i noticed a small figure from afar, getting bigger upon getting closer to it.

It was pure silence, almost too silent for my comfort. I realized that it was Josh. The silhouette from a few seconds ago was him. He was sitting down, his gaze fixated on the ground, looking emotionless.

I called his name once, twice, countless times but in vain, no response could be obtained. The strangest part of it all was the incapacity of moving an inch when I shook his shoulders. It was like he was a statue.

"Josh, hello..?" I repeated in a state of panic, my body beginning to tremble slightly as stress and confusion flooded inside of me. My brain was struggling to comprehend the whole situation, nor understand why he wasn't moving.

The echo of my voice was covering the silence filling the place. The white place, filled with nothing and the sound of silence. It feels so realistic somehow, in my mind. Maybe I was just insane, but I've heard a voice screaming my name far far away.

"Y/N! Y/N! WHERE ARE YOU?" The voice yelled, coming closer to my position. My fists clenched and I grabbed the statued Josh's arm, scared of what could happen next.

But to my big surprise, Josh appeared, and he looked perplexed. He glanced at me, then at the statued Josh behind me. "Why is there another me?" He pointed, the stress in his voice obvious.

"I..I don't really know, but.." I hesitantly stood up and reached to hug him tightly, not wanting to let him go. "..I'm just glad you're okay Josh. I love you." I whispered into his ear, and sensed the smile showing on his facial features.

"I love you too..." He muttered back. After pulling away from each other's embrace, he glanced at the surroundings, trying to find some sort of exit perhaps, but nothing.

"Do you have any idea how to leave this place? It's like a fever dream, and I pretty much dislike it." Josh blurt out, staring at his shoes, not really knowing what else to do.

"No, I don't even know what is this place." I respond, doing the same gesture he did a few seconds ago. I did notice something but it seemed far away from where we were at the moment.

"I see something there, but I think it's pretty far away. Should we go take a look?" I point out, asking. Just precautions, of course. He nodded as we started making our way to what might be the exit of this weird and uncomfortably disorienting place.