"I don't know if it really works," he says. "The scholar that I saved from drowning told me it was too powerful to be sitting in some library. Few people can get it to work. I only used it once and still don't understand how I activated it." He covers my hands with his own, and Vadnar pushes himself off the wall, growling at Trey.

Trey gets the message and releases me. "Fugue out how to use it. It may come in useful in the future. I believe in you."

"I don't think I want to open any new doors, Trey. I must focus on this world and everything we have to build."

He looks disappointed, but nods. "Store it away, then. The palace will be a safer home to it."

Vadnar rubs my back, supporting my decision.

"I don't know..." I hesitate. "Who made this thing? Why did a scholar have it?"

"He didn't say much. This thing's purpose gets lost across the ages. Maybe you'll find something in the royal library."

I smile at him, although it still doesn't meet my eyes. If this thing is truly a portal, I don't know if I want to use it.

I figure there's no harm in learning more about it. That night, I spend hours in the library, retiring only when Vadnar comes to get me. I found nothing about the ring.

I lose myself in the library over the next few weeks, obsessively studying the written myths when I get my period. It wasn't supposed to arrive. I was supposed to get pregnant.

I focus on the ring to drown out my fear. I found a single entry about its origin. It was found embedded in a fallen rock. A meteorite. That's all I've found.

It takes me two months to learn how to use it. It only works during sunset, when the certain angles of the light touch it. The positioning of my fingers also has an effect on it. Sometimes I hear voices of random conversations that last about five minutes. Sometimes I see faces.

My period cycle arrives month after month—lighter, but present. Vadnar hasn't expressed any concern, neither have I. We just keep trying.

I fear there's something wrong with me, but I refuse to ask questions as if that would make the problem a reality. Instead, I cling onto the ring.

I swap though dozens of conversations, unsure of what I'm searching for. There are arguments between strangers, singing, random chatter of Zolans. Of strangers.

I'm unsure what the purpose of this portal is if I can't interact with those across. Whether I speak, I go unheard. This is merely a window. Or maybe I don't know how to use it that well.

Vadnar doesn't ask me much about the ring. I think he dislikes it because he thinks it has the power to take me away. We've both had enough experiences with portals.

I set the ring on the grass beside me, stretching my arms over my head. It's about time I went inside. Tomorrow is another day I'll spend lost in the library, searching for clues about the ring. Anything to distract me from my empty womb and gnawing apprehension.

"Queen?"

I turn around, looking for the voice that calls for me. No one is there.

And then in dawns on me: I've just heard English. Not Zolan. English.

How? Troy is nowhere around. He left to tour another continent months ago and he's the only other English speaker on Zolan.

"H—hello?" I rasp.

"Yes! Please, we don't have much time. The connection will end in minutes."

My eyes fall to the ring. It's speaking. I'm being heard and spoken to.