chapter twenty - take care of you

THEODORE'S P.O.V.

Theodore walked up to the front porch—assuming that Nate was probably too discombobulated to gather himself in time. A man with long blonde hair and a septum piercing introduced himself as Jared, allowed him to enter, and complimented Theodore's tattoos. He thanked Jared, and headed towards the living room to see Zivia and Vincent laughing about something hysterically. He smiled greatly at their contagious joy.

"My man!" Vincent called out once he noticed the other boy.

"Hey guys! How's it going?"

"So good," Zivia emphasized. "Nate is by the couch. Warning: he may have overdone it a bit."

Theodore chuckled as he glanced past them and saw the person he came to see. Nate sat on the floor—his back resting against the couch. His hair was a curly mess, and his cheeks were bright pink. The sunglasses on his face were crooked even though Theodore knew Nate had tried to straighten them out with no luck. His jacket was lying across his lap as he fiddled with the sleeve while his mouth was curved upward into a large smile that never faded. Something about him looked so picturesque. Theodore couldn't help but grin more.

He walked up to the man—who was talking with someone with short black hair—and spoke.

"Hey."

Despite Nate usually being alert, Theodore's presence startled him. It was obvious that his awareness was impaired.

"Theodore," he smiled greatly. "Oh! Lex, this is Theodore, my friend, and Theodore this is Lex, Jared's partner, also friend."

"Nice to meet you," Theodore replied—Lex reciprocating right after.

"Alright, I'll let you two be, but Nate: it was lovely chatting with you. Never forget our pie conversation."

"It will be impossible to, Lex."

Theodore furrowed his brow in confusion but decided to ask Nate about it later. For now, he had one goal in mind.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

"Yes, absolutely," Nate said loudly.

Theodore decided to avoid any potential falls by placing his hand on Nate's arm and letting the man pull himself up. Nate put on his jacket and took a step forward entirely unassisted. Theodore stopped him.

"Woah, where are you going?"

"I don't really know."

"Okay, brave guy, where is your cane?" Theodore laughed.

"Good idea."

Only a minutes into seeing Nate, and Theodore's face already hurt from smiling.

Nate successfully unfolded his cane and grabbed onto Theodore's arm as it kissed the ground. Moving slowly and cautiously—they made their way out of the house as they said their goodbye's to everyone. Getting Nate down the driveway and into the car in one piece was a task that Theodore wasn't sure was possible. The brown-haired boy could not keep his balance to save his life.

"I assume you've had a good night?" Theodore asked as they had—miraculously—found themselves inside his car.

"Oh yeah, definitely," Nate replied as he wiggled into his seat. "Now I'm going to have even more fun."

Theodore blushed. "I'm glad. I see that you're pretty crossfaded right now."

Nate tried to press his mouth into a straight line, and failed epically. "What gave it away?"

"Literally everything you're doing."

The boy in the passenger seat laughed as Theodore started up the car.