The Pendulum's Secret

Mulai dari awal

The blades and pincers, the blood...Alex frantically surveyed their prison. Scattered across the floor were sun-bleached bones. Among them, pieces of paper covered in desperate scrawlings. Alex’s stomach churned. Were these the remains of previous victims? Left to mark their final hours under the approaching pendulum?

Heart slamming against their ribs, Alex desperately studied the giant pendulum. Each sweep brought its gleaming tip fractionally closer. Judging its path, Alex rolled to the side, but the manacles snagged fast. The table surface was slippery with coagulated blood. Gagging back panic, Alex searched for any tool among the macabre implements glinting dully from the walls. They stretched a leg toward a rusted chisel just out of reach. Wriggling across the table, Alex strained every sinew. As the pendulum swept silently overhead, missing Alex by inches, their foot captured the chisel and drew it closer.

Working frantically as the pendulum descended in its inevitable arc, Alex pried at the manacles’ ancient lock mechanisms. But without the key, they refused to release their grip. Defeated, Alex slumped back. Fear threatened to overwhelm them; the pendulum was now so low they could no longer roll free of its deadly tip. Each pass brought icy breath against Alex’s cheek.

Desperate to occupy their last minutes, Alex reached for the victim’s notes, squinting to decipher the faded lettering. Phrases jumped out...“guild hides in plain sight”...”influence spreads unseen"... Alex froze. The notes hinted that members of this brutal, ritualistic Guild still infiltrated positions of power even in modern institutions. Alex thought with dawning dread of Professor Bell and the way he had coveted the book. The secrets it could unlock...

Alex’s blood turned to ice. They recalled Professor Bell’s insistence no one else see the book, his greed to know its hidden meanings. Far from an innocent academic, the Professor must be part of the sadistic Guild! He had set up Alex to take the fall, sending them straight into this trap. A sacrificial victim to these rituals born of fanatic devotion and bloodlust.

Rage coursed through Alex’s veins, even as hope of escape abandoned them. This cult might cloak itself behind the veneer of modern respectability, but at its heart lay a cruel medieval justice that would always demand more blood, more pain. As the pendulum’s gleaming edge licked ever closer, Alex refused to shut their eyes. If this was to be their end feeding the secrets of the Guild, they would meet it with defiance.

When the crimson-robed men finally returned to remove Alex’s limp body, they found the table empty. Their impassive silence exploded into confusion and shouts. Peering upward, their torch beams illuminated a narrow gap in the stones high overhead...and dangling from it by a rope woven from victim’s clothing, the prisoner hung just out of reach. Alex had discovered that by swinging back and forth, they generated just enough momentum to jump free as the pendulum swung beneath. Using the chisel and chain, Alex had scraped desperately at the crumbling mortar sealing a heavy ceiling block during the long hours, until it gave way.

From their swaying perch, Alex taunted the panicked men below about the secrets now exposed in their precious book, and how many more of their members hidden within modern institutions would soon face justice. As the men rushed from the dungeon vowing revenge, Alex clambered up through the gap, heaving the block back into place. They had to share what they now knew...that beneath its thin veneer of respectability, an ancient evil still walked among us. And the Guild of the Pendulum would pay for its secrets.

****

Gasping, Alex emerged into a moonlit graveyard behind the anthropology building. So this was how the Guild secretly accessed the university’s underbelly. Tracking the crimson-robed men to the library, Alex glimpsed inside. The Grand Inquisitor, his face still obscured beneath the hood, held the tortured Professor Bell hostage.

"The knowledge dies with you," the Inquisitor rasped, as Professor Bell sobbed piteously, chained to the table where the pendulum had nearly slain Alex hours earlier. His treason confirmed, Professor Bell had clearly outlived his usefulness to the Guild.

Alex's mind raced, analyzing the torture chamber’s weaknesses. The stout door was virtually impenetrable, but a decaying air grate high in the corner potentially offered access. Alex stacked nearby crates, clambering up silently into the ventilation system just as the pendulum was released. Professor Bell’s anguished screams sent rats scurrying down the ducts around Alex’s trembling body.

Peering between the slats, Alex tracked the sweeping arc of the pendulum as Professor Bell violently thrashed against his bonds. The Inquisitor watched impassively as the razor tip slowly descended in its inevitable path. Alex only had minutes to act before it was too late. Wriggling forward, they slipped a small wire from their pencil case, hastily unwinding it. Just as the pendulum was about to deliver the death blow, Alex dropped the wire through the grate, desperately manipulating the intricate lock mechanism on Bell’s manacles. With a final twist, the shackles released Bell just as the pendulum buried into the wood where his head had rested.

Chaos erupted. The Grand Inquisitor spun furiously, searching for the unseen interloper. Alex dropped from the grate onto his neck just as campus security, summoned anonymously earlier, stormed through the library’s front entrance. It was over in seconds. The Inquisitor was apprehended along with his two accomplices. As they were dragged away, the hoods slipped off, revealing the university Dean, the head librarian...and Professor Bell himself. He had been a Guild member all along, hungry to decode their secrets for his own ends.

Over the coming weeks, Alex worked closely with authorities as the Guild’s reach into high offices around the country was steadily exposed and dismantled. Alex became quite famous on campus. But they turned down undeserved academic honors, haunted still by the memory of the pendulum’s pitiless swing.fateful swing over their own helpless form. Unable to shake the feeling they were still being watched, Alex withdrew from university life, moving far away to isolation and solitude. Some nights, lurking shadows still gathered around Alex’s lonely cottage. And occasionally, while walking the remote woods, Alex detected a faint squeak and scrape, as of a giant pendulum slowly building momentum somewhere hidden deep below the earth.