34: Sweet Mess

Tyler was almost late for class, delayed by his toddler sister once again having a tantrum about sock color. Apparently, Pink socks were no longer cool, and only green socks were acceptable. But as he hurried across the college campus, he was unbothered by stress or frustration. Even in the gray autumn weather, resulting in puddles of water that splashed onto his pants when his crutches hit the surface, there was nothing but sunshine on Tyler's mind. He was no longer hiding who he was and he was about to reunite with the object of his affection.

Having sped his way there, Tyler entered the classroom with a few minutes left to spare. A flurry of butterflies took flight in his belly as he once again laid his eyes on Robin, having been apart for a maddening fifteen hours at this point. Focused on the textbook in front of him, probably cramming last minute for a possible pop quiz, Robin looked very cute. Although there were probably few situations where Tyler wouldn't find his tutor, possibly turned boyfriend, cute.

Perhaps having heard the taps from the crutches when Tyler arrived, Robin looked up. Their eyes met. They both smiled. The whole world smiled.

Quickly, Tyler closed the remaining distance between them, making his way up the aisle to the desk they usually shared. "Hi," he greeted Robin, still unable to keep from smiling. Blue eyes. A dimple on one cheek. Dark hair curling inward around the temples. Everything about Robin was perfect. Immaculate. Awe-inspiring. All Tyler wanted to spend the day doing was to admire every feature in detail. He suspected that wasn't on the curriculum of his Psychology class though.

"Hi," Robin replied, smiling like a fool as well. He chivalrously pulled out the chair beside him for Tyler.

Tyler put his crutches against the desk and sat down, using Robin's thigh as support. And well, he took any excuse for some fondling. "How have you been?" he asked, drawing circles above Robin's knee with his finger.

"Good," Robin mumbled, probably a bit affected already by Tyler's touch. "I mean... I thought of you a lot."

"I thought of you too," Tyler replied, finding Robin's hand to interlace their fingers. "I... came out to my uncle last night. And I talked to my cousins later as well. So I guess almost everyone knows now. I mean, I haven't talked to my mom, but that's because I haven't talked to her lately. She usually shows up for my birthday though so I can tell her then."

Robin nodded, his gaze falling on the textbook once again.

"What's wrong?" Tyler asked, having picked up that when Robin seemed too focused on studying he was usually anxious about something.

"Just my mom... I talked to her last night. I lied to her, saying that I was going to do something with Des this weekend. And I wished I didn't have to do that. I wish I could come out to her, just like you did to your family.

Tyler squeezed Robin's hand. "You don't have to tell her for my sake. I mean, it's not like she's here all the time, so we have to hide anything. But... what could she really do to you if you told her? You're an adult and she can't control you, Robby."

"I know..." Robin mumbled although he didn't quite sound convinced. Tyler knew Robin's relationship with his mom was complicated, since he suspected she had abused him in the past, and didn't want to force him to come out to her before he was ready. "I just don't want to deal with her right now. I just want to be with you."

"I just want to be with you too," Tyler replied. "That's all that matters to me." Looking around, he decided that their relationship was now at a stage where some discreet displays of affection in public were acceptable. So he snuck in a kiss on Robin's cheek just as Professor Royce entered the classroom, giving the entangled boys a surprised look before putting down his briefcase on the pulpit in preparation for starting the lecture.