12: Sweet Home

With a groan, Tyler slumped down on a bench outside the library to wait for Robin, inspecting his blistered hands. His physiotherapist had suggested he'd use adapted gloves adapted to avoid such injuries, but Tyler had refused after getting a close look at the frumpy handwear. Padded finger gloves in neon colors would definitely tamper with his effortless style. And being stylish felt important to him, especially when he couldn't rely on his physical prowess to charm.

Pressing on one of the water-filled blisters, he did regret his decision a little bit. Still, he would probably turn down the offer again if asked, because he couldn't be caught in those stupid gloves around Robin. In fact, he had especially curated every part of his look for maximum charm. It may look like a regular college guy outfit, but even such a look took careful consideration to put together; a slim white t-shirt with a low v-neck that showed off just a little bit of chest hair, frayed soft jeans with holes on the knees that let some skin peek through, and on his foot was a white sneaker with rainbow-colored laces--which he may have borrowed from a pair of Emmie's roller skates. Tying those laces had been a small coming-out party, even if no one had commented on them yet.

While waiting for Robin, who appeared to be late, Tyler popped a lollipop, looted from Miss Horn's office, in his mouth. The sweetness took away some of the sting from the blisters. Sucking on the candy, Tyler's attention was drawn to the lawn across from the library, where a few students were amusing themselves with a friendly game of soccer. The pitter-patter of shoes on grass and thumps from the bouncing leather ball called to him, singing a melody familiar to his limbs.

Tyler could still feel the sensation of the ball against his left foot, even if that foot wasn't there anymore. Glued in place, it was always there with him. Tilt to the left, run to the right, round the goalie, and score! The roar of the crowd roared in his ears, still ringing from two years ago.

"Sorry, I'm late." Robin suddenly stood right in front of Tyler, blocking out glorious but painful reminders of the past. The other boy panted as if he'd been running and on his light-blue polo-shirt was a big brown stain, looking as if he had got into a fight with a soda dispenser. If Robin had put as much effort as Tyler into his outfit, the effect was now ruined. Luckily, his cuteness made up for the messy clothing.

"You look less... put together than usual," Tyler noted, admittedly enjoying the sight of Robin before him, all hot and bothered. "You didn't have to sprint across campus for me."

"I didn't want you to have to wait," Robin explained, adorably eager to not inconvenience Tyler."Have you been here long?"

Tyler shook his head, making meticulously styled curls fall in his face. It took a lot of effort to make his hair look so effortless."I just got here." Tyler turned up his palms to showcase his blisters. Perhaps it would earn him sympathy points. "I just needed to rest a bit before I tackled the library."

"That looks uncomfortable." Robin looked like he wasn't sure what to say or do.

"I've been through worse..." Tyler mumbled. When he realized the words could be interpreted as passive-aggressive before it was too late to stop them from escaping his lips. Biting his tongue, he looked across the lawn again, toward the students playing soccer. He wondered if Robin knew how to play soccer. Perhaps he could teach him otherwise as payment for tutoring. Surely, Tyler didn't need two legs to instruct. And instruction may come with some physical contact...

Inhaling to focus, Tyler rose from the bench. "I think I'm ready to battle the library now! Come on, Robby."

Eager to get seated next to his tutor, Tyler moved at brisk speed on his crutches. It wasn't until he'd made his way inside, gazing upon a library that was bustling with students--seemingly occupying every table in sight--that he realized Robin was lagging behind.