Chapter 9: A Ride Home, a Benefit Concert, and a Kiss

About a month had passed. I was picking up a few things for Matthew and Marilla, in addition to material at the Lawson's store to be made into a dress to wear as I recite a poem at the White Sands Hotel for a benefit concert.

"So, what are you gonna recite, Abby," Alice asked.
"I've decided to give, 'The Highwayman'. It's very pathetic. Laura Spencer is giving a comic recitation, but I prefer to make people cry," I answered.
"Are you nervous," Alice asked.
"A little bit, even though I've never truly stood out in public, but I feel very well-prepared and that helps," I replied.
"Well, this organdy will look elegant under all the electric lights at the White Sands Hotel. Oh, Mother tried to convince me to audition for a violin solo. Can you imagine? I mean, I haven't picked up a bow in three years. The Charlottetown Hospital is a worthy cause and all, but I am not prepared to suffer humiliation for it," Alice told me.
"We're all amateurs. They may be very sorry they've asked any of us to do it when it's all over," I said.
"Oh, hardly the case with you, Abby. After standing first at Queens, you can do no wrong in this community," Alice stated.
"Someone ought to tell that to Marilla," I said.
"Well, Mr. Cuthbert is sure proud. He plunks down his money awful quick these days for anything I tell him is pretty and fashionable," Alice said.
"Alice Lawson! You devil! Don't you go abusing Matthew's generosity to me! You do have good taste, though. I'll see you at the concert," I said before leaving the shop with my bundles.

I then was walking back to Green Gables and was stopped by Gilbert, who was in a buggy.

"Hello, Abby," Gilbert said with a friendly grin.
"Hello, Gil," I said politely with a smile.
"Can I offer you a ride home? You promised we were going to be friends. Remember," he asked.
"Well, alright then. It is rather awkward with all these. It was good of you to stop," I responded after Gilbert helped me into his buggy and began driving it.
"Seems I'm developing quite a habit of getting you out of awkward situations," Gilbert said matter-of-factly.
"I thought a lot about what happened at the bridge, Gilbert. What I mean to say is, that it was very rude of me to just belittle you like that, especially when I was wrong to doubt you about that kiss between you and Josie at the Christmas Ball. I always knew she would try and break us up in some fashion deep down. But I was very overwrought over learning my score. I mean, our score. I mean, I wasn't myself," I told him.
"That's alright. Life's too short to hold grudges, anyway," he said.
"It's valiant of you to say so. You'll go far with that kind of attitude," I said.
"You know what you're going to study at Queens yet, Peaches," Gilbert asked.
"I intend on taking my teacher's license in one year instead of two, at Miss Stacey's suggestion," I answered confidently.
"Gee, I was imagining you would have a career on the stage. Well, I think you'd make a swell actress, especially as the Lily Maid. I hear you're giving 'The Highwayman' at the White Sands recital," Gilbert stated.
"My life is an open book, I see. Who told you that," I asked curiously.
"Well, I have a little confession to make. I was just at the Lawson's myself, and Alice told me you were walking home," Gilbert replied truthfully.
"Oh," I said in a slightly surprised tone.
"I'm going to try to get you an encore while you're up there. So make sure you have a second selection ready," Gilbert informed me.
"Nobody is gonna encore me," I said glumly.
"Well, I would, especially if I had the honor of escorting you to the concert," Gilbert said with a smile.
"Uh, I don't know. Anne and I promised the Barry's that we would go with them, but..," I trailed off.
"I think you're old enough to make up your own mind, Abby," Gilbert said rather matter-of-factly.
"I've always been old enough to make up my own mind. Very well then, Gil. I'd be pleased to accept your invitation. Could you let me off at the corner, please," I asked.
"Of course, Abby," he responded before stopping where I asked him to.
"Anne is visiting Diana at the moment, and I'm going to take a shortcut and show them what I bought," I said as Gilbert helped me out of his buggy.
"I'll see you soon, Peaches," Gilbert said with a smile.
"Goodbye, Gil," I said before leaving him and heading to Orchard Slope.