Chapter 4: Starting Summer with Sprained Ankles

It was a pleasant spring day. It was the last day of the term for school before summer and Mr. Phillips had some news to share.

"First, I'm pleased to announce...that Anne Shirley, Abigail Shirley, and Gilbert Blythe have tied for first-place honors in the term finals. And now, the sad news...I'm leaving Avonlea. I shall not be with you in the fall...to guide your progress to even greater heights of scholastic achievement. Let us not have tears. Partings are a natural part of life. To ease the pain of this news, I have glad tidings. We shall adjourn early this afternoon, and make our way to the Spurgeon farm...where Moody's parents have consented to host a celebration in honor of my departure," Mr. Phillips said glumly.

"Nobody told me," Moody exclaimed.

"We tied for first place on our honors exams, Gilbert! Can you believe that," I asked excitedly as I hugged him.
"I knew we could do it," he answered as he kissed my cheek.

"Congratulations, Anne," I said as I hugged my twin.
"Congratulations, Abby! I'm quite proud of you," she said with a smile.

Soon, we were all at Moody's parents' farm enjoying a picnic.

"Father told Mother that Mr. Sadler was going to get rid of Mr. Phillips, no matter what. And apparently, the trustees are forcing him to leave because of Prissy," Diana told Anne, Gilbert, and me.
"I can't help feeling sorry for him, even though he did spell my name without an 'e'," Anne said.
"I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He's got a position as a private tutor over in Charlottetown," Diana stated.

"Hey, Abby! I dare you to walk the picket fence! And if you fail, Gilbert Blythe is mine," Josie said with a smirk.
"I doubt I will lose Gilbert over some silly dare, but I shall accept it. For I know that you will never let me hear the end of it if I do not accept," I said with dignity.

"Peaches, you know that you don't have to do this. It's silly and petty," Gilbert said as he pulled me aside.
"I have to, Gil. I can't lose you to the likes of Josie Pye," I said firmly.
"If you must, but I will make sure you don't fall, alright," he asked.
"Alright," I replied before giving him a quick kiss.

I then was walking the picket fence. That is...until Josie shook the fence and caused me to fall. I fell into Gilbert's arms thankfully, but I unfortunately sprained my right ankle in the process of falling.

"Thank you for catching me, Gilbert. Although, I think I might have sprained my right ankle during the fall," I said.
"Just hold onto me for the rest of the picnic until I can get you back to Green Gables, Peaches," he instructed before gently kissing me.
"Alright," I said.

"Abby! Are you alright," Diana asked as she and Anne rushed over to Gilbert and me.
"I'm fine. It's just a sprained ankle. That's all," I reassured my friend.

"Josie, you caused Abby to fall on purpose! You cheated on the dare to try to break up my sister and Gilbert, which shall never happen on my watch," Anne told her angrily.
"Abby and Gilbert are just pretending to be courting! It's quite obvious, Anne! Gilbert doesn't truly love her! He's only 'in love' with her and showing her pity because she's an orphan...just like you," she said coldly.

"Take that back, Josie! Abby and Gilbert are kindred spirits and a match made in heaven! And Anne and Abby aren't orphans anymore! They have been taken in by Mr. and Miss Cuthbert," Diana said in a dignified manner.