Chapter 7: Tutoring for Entrance Exams, a Dress, and a Christmas Ball

A couple of weeks had passed. Anne, Gilbert, and I were staying after school to be tutored by Miss Stacey for the Queens Academy entrance exams. Anne was sitting with Gilbert and me as we overheard a conversation between Miss Stacey and Diana.

"It's a shame Mrs. Barry wants Diana to concentrate on running a household. She could be doing so much more," Anne sighed.
"It's out of our hands, Anne. There's nothing we can do about it," I said as I hugged her.

"Alright class. Let's start with the Latin verbs. We'll move on to algebra after that. Please open your books to page three," Miss Stacey instructed.

As we all studied, Gilbert and I couldn't help but make small talk as we worked on our algebra problems together.

"The variable x cannot be equal to the variable y, but xy equals ten. Okay. So that must mean...," Gilbert trailed off.
"The variable x is equal to two. The variable y is five. This is due to the variable x being multiplied by the variable y to get the product of ten," I said after solving the equation in my notebook.
"That was quick, Peaches. You know your algebra," Gilbert said with a smile.
"It's just simple division, Gil," I told him before showing him how I solved the equation.

A couple of months later, it was the beginning of December. Marilla had gone to a rally with the Ladies' Aid Society. I was in my room sick with a cold. Anne was downstairs with Matthew as I read my copy of Romeo and Juliet in bed. Then, I heard a knock at my bedroom door.

"Abby, Gilbert is on his way to come take care of you and keep you company. Diana came in a hurry informing me that Minnie May Barry has the croup. Matthew and I will take care of her. You'll be fine until your beau gets here, right," Anne asked.
"Yes, Anne, I will. Now, go help Diana before Minnie May gets worse," I instructed.
"Feel better," Anne said before hugging me and leaving.

I then drifted off to sleep after Anne and Matthew left to be woken up by a kiss on my forehead. I looked up and saw Gilbert holding something behind his back and gave him a tired smile after yawning.

"Hello, Gil," I said after sneezing.
"Hello, Peaches. I brought you something that might lift your spirits. The Avonlea Christmas Ball is coming up, and I saved up some money and bought you this dress to wear to accompany me to the Christmas Ball," he said as he revealed a beautiful pale pink dress that he was hiding behind his back.

 The Avonlea Christmas Ball is coming up, and I saved up some money and bought you this dress to wear to accompany me to the Christmas Ball," he said as he revealed a beautiful pale pink dress that he was hiding behind his back

(A/N 1: For reference, this is what the dress Gilbert bought Abby looks like.)

I was in awe. It was a very touching and thoughtful gesture from Gilbert.

"Gilbert, I...I am at a loss for words! You've spoiled me," I said with a giggle.
"Only for you, my dear. I want to make you feel special...because...well...you're quite special to me, and...I love you, Abby Shirley," he stated after hanging the dress up and before kissing my cheek.
"I love you too, Gilbert Blythe," I told him before pulling him close and hugging him.
"I love you most, Peaches," he said as he kissed me.
"Aren't you worried about catching my cold," I asked.
"Anne told me how you were on the end of it, so I think it's safe to assume I won't get it," Gilbert answered as he took my copy of Romeo and Juliet from me.
"If you say so, but I would love to accompany you to the Christmas Ball, Gil," I said.
"Thank you, Abby," he said with a smile.
"I've never been to a dance before. What are they like," I asked curiously.
"Well, there's dancing, talking, eating, drinking punch...," Gilbert trailed off.
"Would you show me how to waltz, so I do not embarrass myself," I asked.
"I'd love to, Peaches," Gilbert replied with a smile as he helped me out of bed.
"Alright. I'm ready whenever you are," I said with a grin.
"Ready? On the count of three," Gilbert said as he placed one of my hands on his shoulder and took my other in his before counting in three-quarter time and taught me how to waltz, which I quickly picked up on.