Chapter 21: Realizations, Visitors, and Bundles of Joy

A year and a half had passed since my and Gilbert's wedding. It was the beginning of February in 1908. Gilbert and I decided to move from Avonlea last autumn to a slightly bigger town called Glen, St. Mary, a few weeks after the wedding. Adjusting to life in a new town had been a bit difficult, considering Gilbert and I had been used to the quiet and peaceful surroundings of Avonlea. It's astonishing to believe that we've been married for a year and a half already that Gilbert has already joined a medical practice in town, and that I have a job as a teacher at a lovely school.

Recently though, I've had to have another teacher teach my students since I haven't been feeling well over the past couple of weeks, which Gilbert suggested I took a small time away from teaching to focus on my health. On top of that, Diana and Anne were coming in to visit Gilbert and me for the evening and tomorrow morning. 

Gilbert and I were eating breakfast together before he had to go to work.

"Abby, dear, are you sure you are feeling alright enough for us to host Anne and Diana this evening and tomorrow morning," Gilbert asked as he took a sip of his tea.
"Of course, I do! I feel right as rain," I reassured my husband before taking a bite of an apple.
"I just hate seeing you get sick so often, Peaches," Gilbert said sympathetically.
"I've been resting and drinking water constantly as you have suggested, considering this might just be a prolonged stomach virus, but nothing has changed. I still get sick at least once or twice a day. Sometimes even three," I said.
"One of my recent patients had the same symptoms you seem to have: occasional sickness, craving certain foods, fatigue, and missing a monthly cycle for two months, although her symptoms had been going on a bit longer than yours. If my assumption is correct, you're not sick at all! Why, you are expecting, my dear! We are going to be parents," Gilbert said excitedly as he got up, walked over to me, kissed me tenderly, and hugged me.
"We're going to be parents! Oh, this is simply delightful, Gilbert! A family of our own! Just as we had always hoped for and dreamed of since we began courting during our youth in Avonlea," I beamed.
"A family of our own! It's truly splendid! I'm going to be a father," he said happily.
"And I am going to be a mother! Oh, this child will be so loved," I smiled.
"Indeed! He or she will most certainly be loved! Now, I must be going, or I shall be late. Try to keep resting until Anne and Diana arrive. Remember, I love you always and forever, Abby," Gilbert said as he kissed my forehead, then my nose, and finally my lips.
"I love you too, Gil, tremendously. The baby and me," I said with a smile before he left.

About six hours later, I was resting in the parlor and reading a book when I heard a knock at the front door. I got up hoping it would be Anne or Diana. I opened the door and saw my twin sister and Diana with smiles on their faces.

"Anne! Diana! What a pleasant surprise! Gilbert is at his practice still, and he and I weren't expecting you for another two hours," I smiled.
"Abby, we came early to see you! Yes, we'd like to see Gilbert as well, but we couldn't resist coming early considering he had written to me last week expressing how you were not feeling the best and how had to take a break from teaching so suddenly, especially after starting the second term at a school," Anne said before hugging me.

"Anne and I shall nurse you back to health," Diana said as she hugged me.

"Yes, Abby! Diana and I shall nurse you until Gilbert is back," Anne said as I ushered my sister and friend inside.

After Anne and Diana were inside, they took off their hats, gloves, and coats, and we made ourselves comfortable on a sofa.