Chapter 2: A Pleasant Lunch, a Spelling Bee, Gossip, a Walk, Dinner, and a Ruse

A couple of months had gone by. Gilbert, Diana, Anne, the rest of our class, and I were about to hear our scores for our half-term mathematics exams from Mr. Phillips after finishing another exam before being dismissed for lunch.

"Alright, class. Time's up. Place your pencils beside your papers. I'll collect your papers once everyone has left. However, before everyone leaves for lunch, I would like to announce the mathematics half-term results. The three best standings are as follows...Tied for first, Gilbert Blythe and Abigail Shirley. Second, Anne Shirley. Third, Prissy Andrews. I think Miss Andrews has shown excellent progress under my tutelage. Class dismissed," Mr. Phillips stated.

Gilbert smiled at Anne and then at me. Anne groaned and ignored Gilbert as I politely waved at him.

"He's only smiling to congratulate you both, Anne," Diana said truthfully.
"I think he was trying to rub it in," my twin said.

Then, Diana, Anne, and I were approached by Gilbert outside.

"Hello, Diana, Anne, and Abby. Mind if I join you three for lunch," Gilbert asked.
"Wouldn't you rather eat with Moody, Charlie Sloane, and the other boys, Mr. Blythe," Anne asked.

"I'll eat lunch with you Gilbert...that is...if you wouldn't mind the company, of course," I said in a slightly nervous tone.
"I don't mind your company, Abby. I quite find it pleasurable, actually," he told me.
"Alright," I said with a smile.

I then turned to Anne who looked at Gilbert with disgust and Diana, who was looking at me as she grinned from ear to ear.

"Go on, Abby. It's okay. Diana and I will be alright without you for one lunch for one day. I mean, as long as this doesn't become prominent," Anne said.

"Oh, Anne! They're just friends...who might make a great match someday," I heard Diana say.
"My dear Abby with that dreadful Gilbert Blythe? Oh, Diana, you are just imagining things," I heard Anne say with a chuckle before walking away with Diana.

"Gilbert, I am utterly upset that you didn't ask me to have lunch with me. Why did you choose that poor ugly orphan girl instead of me," Josie asked with a huff while walking up to him and me.
"I was just being polite to Abby, who happens to be sweet, gorgeous, polite, and intelligent. She is not infatuated with me like you are, which is quite refreshing. She is my friend and nothing more, Josie. I'll see you in class after lunch," he answered while he grabbed my right hand and we started walking to a meadow near the school.
"You'll regret this, Gilbert Blythe! You will,"she shouted after Gilbert and me as we walked away, which caused us to laugh.

Gilbert and I quickly approached the meadow. We then found a spot with a nice view to sit at.

"I apologize for not having a blanket for us to sit on, Peaches," Gilbert said as he sat down and gestured for me to sit next to him.
"That's alright. A little grass and dirt never hurt anyone," I said with a giggle as I took my pencil and journal out of my bag.

I started to write down my thoughts about my surroundings while in the meadow.

𝟷𝟸 𝙾𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚋𝚎𝚛

𝓢𝓱𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓪 𝓫𝓮𝓪𝓾𝓽𝓲𝓯𝓾𝓵, 𝓹𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓶𝓮𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓪 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽, 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓹𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓐𝓿𝓸𝓷𝓵𝓮𝓪. 𝓢𝓱𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓾𝓻𝓻𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓫𝔂 𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓯𝓵𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓪𝓼 𝓼𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓲𝓽𝓼 𝓷𝓮𝔁𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓯𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝔂 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓪𝓫𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓮𝓪𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓵𝓾𝓷𝓬𝓱. 𝓢𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝓹𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓿𝓮𝓮𝓼𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓲𝓶 𝓫𝓮𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝔂 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓽𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓬𝓱𝓸𝓸𝓵𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓾𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓵𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓼.