-05

CHAPTER 5 | PERCY HAS DADDY ISSUES

—"HEROES!" CHIRON ANNOUNCED, "YOU KNOW the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!"

Raven scoffed to herself, knowing full well a certain cabin wouldn't follow even half of those rules.

"Is he serious?" Percy whispered from beside her.

Raven smiled grimly. "Has Chiron ever been the one to joke around?"

He scoffed and bumped her shoulder in retaliation to her sarcasm.

The boy had stuck to her side ever since that night on the dock, only ever leaving for lessons with Annabeth or to see Grover when he wasn't swept up in satyr business. She couldn't explain why she felt so comfortable around him. Her best guess was because she'd been the one to find him on the hill and she felt...protective? over him. But one thing about Percy was that he was fiercely loyal, and that was evident in their friendship. It'd grown unusually fast in the short time they'd known each other.

She liked his sense of humor, and the way he bounced off of her sarcasm. He was easy to get along with and could take her demeaning insults as a joke like they were intended. He liked how easy she was to talk to and be around, most likely from her dad's charism and charm that were trademarks of his children. She also had a lot of siblings, something Percy had always been curious to experience.

The centaur spread his hands, and the tables were suddenly covered with equipment: helmets, bronze swords, spears, oxhide shields coated in metal. A ripple of approval shifted the Ares crown.

Most of the Apollo cabin immediately went in for the bows, Raven herself included. She selected a lightweight, thin bow and a quiver of arrows which she slung on her back. Percy fitted himself with armor and a shield, but no weapon.

Armed and ready, she met up with Annabeth, who was already prepared with multiple daggers hidden in the folds of her clothes. Her face brightened upon seeing the other blond, her curls snagging on the straps of her own bronze chest plate.

"Ready, Curly?" Raven teased, bumping her hip against the other girl as her hands were occupied with her bow.

Annabeth grinned back. "Always, Sunshine."

Chiron have her the signal, and she yelled: "Blue team! Forward!"

A wild cheer rose up from Athena's allies as they charged towards the south woods. Behind them, Raven could hear the red team yelling taunts and retreating to their woods.

Percy stumbled up to the two of them.

"Hey." He said, mainly to Annabeth. She kept marching, eyes straight ahead. He shot Raven a look and she merely shrugged.