-10

CHAPTER 10 | GROVER FINDS A FRIEND IN THE WOODS (IN A NOT CREEPY WAY)

—THAT NIGHT WAS PRETTY MISERABLE. Well, for the other three, that was.

The quartet was forced to camp out under the stars. They'd settled in a clearing that was quiet littered, but Raven had taken the liberty of kicking and clearing all the trash to the side so she and her friends could at least enjoy a little bit of comfort. Grover was visibly more happy from her efforts.

They didn't dare light a fire, however, because if they attracted one more monster, they might not be able to handle it. She would probably just throw her hands up and ask to be killed quickly.

Raven had climbed up onto the lowest, widest branch of an overhanging tree, and was gazing at the glittering constellations far above. She found comfort in the stars, like no matter how dark it was, there was always a little sparkle of light watching you. Her dream had always been to see the northern lights before she dies, but this quest was making her question if it would happen.

Speaking of, she had one of her earbuds Apollo had gifted her in her ears and was listening to Stargazing by The Neighborhood. Out of everything her dad had ever given her, that was her most cherished and prized favorite. Raven had a borderline obsession with music of all genres, and was constantly listening to it, whether she was engaged in it or not. It was enchanted to play whatever song she wanted without ever attracting monsters.

When she'd gotten them, she'd asked why the god couldn't just do the same with an actual phone, but apparently his abilities only extended to music, because that was in his domain.

The boys were having a conversation below her that she was a part of, but she wasn't engaged. More of like a passive listener. Her mind had a habit of wandering off, maladaptive daydreaming and all that, which was only worsened by the music.

A moment of silence, however, made her zone back in.

"How are we going to get into the Underworld?" Percy finally said. "I mean, what chance do we have against a god?"

"You really are the most optimistic person I've ever met," Raven told him.

"I don't know," Grover admitted. "But back at Medusa's, when you were searching her office? Annabeth was telling me and Raven–"

"Oh, I forgot. Annabeth will have a plan all figured out."

"Hey, don't be so hard on her Percy." Grover defended softly.

"She's had a rough life, Jackson. She just wants to prove herself to Chiron, to me and Grover, even to you." Raven added quietly.