-09

CHAPTER 9 | PERCY PISSES OFF THE GODS (WHAT'S NEW)

—"AUNTY EM'S GARDEN GNOME EMPORIUM."

The archaic building was nestled into the woods, almost swallowed by them, and dark in the fading light. It was surrounded by hyper realistic stone statues, almost like sentry guards. She squinted at them and realized not all of them were human. There were little girls in dresses and men holding coffee cups, but also satyrs with their furry legs and a circle of centaur sculptures standing 8 feet tall. Whatever Aunty Em's was, it was definitely part of the mythological world.

Raven had tried to read the sign, but the neon cursive writing was literal torture for her brain to try and decipher. Grover had to translate instead. And if there was anything that screamed child endangerment, it was a random shack in the woods with a bizarre name.

That being said, Percy still wanted to go in.

"Are you fucking crazy?" Raven scoffed.

Percy gestured towards the building. "No! Well, maybe. But I'm also hungry, and I feel like that cancels out!"

His feet carried him across the deserted street, and surprisingly Annabeth followed suit. Raven shared an incredulous look with Grover, the latter who shook his head in disappointment.

"It looks like it's open." The satyr said reluctantly, noticing the lights on inside.

"Snack bar." Percy said wistfully.

"Snack bar." Annabeth agreed.

"Great," Raven said, turning to Grover, "we're traveling with idiots."

"Girl, I've known this the moment we stepped off of Half-Blood Hill." He mumbled.

Percy and Annabeth ignored them and wandered closer.

The front lawn was populated by dozens of cement satyrs, nymphs, and creepy mortals. Raven cast a wary eye at them. They seemed to be looking back at her, and she wasn't typically a paranoid person. But hey, you try walking through a stone statue garden in the dark and try not to feel creeped out. Who carved them and how did they have enough free time to make so many? Especially with such detail?

"Blah-ha-he!" Grover bleated in alarm, staring at a statue of a large satyr with a long goatee. "That one looks like my Uncle Ferdinand!"

The group stopped at the warehouse door.

"Don't knock," Grover pleaded. "I smell monsters."