-02

CHAPTER 2 | THE NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

—IT TOOK TWO WHOLE DAYS for the mystery boy to wake up. Two days of waiting, something an ADHD demigod was pretty horrible at. She was also just impatient, but she would never admit it out loud.

Raven was in charge of bringing him small servings ambrosia diluted in pudding to slowly nurse him back to health. Not only was she best fit because she was an Apollo child, but she also felt a sort of responsibility over him, seeing as she was the first to spot him on Half-blood Hill.

Once, when she was feeding him more ambrosia pudding, Annabeth decided to join. They were surprised to see his eyes flutter open. He blinked a couple times before he could focus on the two girls.

Annabeth hastily surveyed the room, as if afraid someone would overhear. "What's going on? What's been stolen? We've only got a few weeks?"

His eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, "I don't..."

Raven shot Annabeth a look. "Wow. Not even a hey, how are you feeling."

He opened his mouth to say something else, but his face twisted in a grimace and his eyes fluttered shut again.

The next time Raven saw him, she was sitting at a table with Chiron and Mr. D, gazing at her losing hand in pinochle.

Annabeth's hand was on the back of her chair, the girl herself leaning against the railing and gazing out across the camp, deep in thought.

"Mr. Brunner!" A voice said.

Raven turned her head at the sound and saw the boy with the sea-green eyes being supported by Grover. Though she hadn't been able to visit him in the medical ward, she'd heard from Annabeth he'd made a full recovery from whatever he and boy had been doing to end up on Half-blood Hill.

"Ah, good, Percy," Chiron said, unaffected by the name he was just called. "Now we have four for pinochle."

The center gestured to a chair to the left of him, opposite of Raven, and Percy sat down. Mr. D, who was across from Chiron, heaved a sigh.

"Oh, I suppose I must say it," he grumbled. "Welcome to Camp Half-blood. There. Now don't expect me to be glad to see you."

"Uh, thanks." Percy said skeptically, scooting away from the god.

Raven snorted in laughter, but quickly disguised it as a cough.

"Annabeth? Raven?" Chiron called. Annabeth zoned back into reality and the two girls gave the centaur their attention.

Chiron turned back to Percy.

"'These young ladies nursed you back to health, Percy." He turned to Annabeth first, then Raven. "Annabeth Chase, and Raven Marenwell."