-11

CHAPTER 11 | RAVEN TACKLES PERCY OFF A NATIONAL MONUMENT

—THE ST. LOUIS ARCH. A famous monument. An architectural wonder. Something Raven would describe as a death trap created by idiots with a death wish.

Not only was it pointless (literally), but it was also just stupid. Like whoever had made it wanted to fuck with the Fates. Sure, let's all go ride in an elevator to the top of this massive safety hazard and pray that nothing bad happens!

The train had to take a pit stop, dumping out Raven, Percy, Grover, and Annabeth, and the latter had an interest in going to explore it.

"Why?" Raven had asked, trying to keep her obvious distaste from her voice. "It's just an arch."

Annabeth had fixed her with a look. "It's not just an arch, Ray. It's an architectural wonder."

Grover and Raven shared a look. Of course the future architect would think so. They knew how obsessed she was with monuments, and that there would be nothing stopping her from seeing it if she wanted to. Percy made the mistake of asking a question about it, which trapped him into one of Annabeth's famous lectures, leaving the daughter of Apollo and the satyr to gawk at the city around them.

Sure, Raven lived in Washington, but she didn't live right in the middle of Seattle. Her house was more secluded than the city life; nestled in the mountains where the closest neighbors were half a mile away. And Grover spent his life at Camp Half-Blood, always surrounded by nature.

Even at camp, Raven always lived so close to a city and yet it always managed to take her breath away. She still preferred the charming rural countryside or mystical forests over the city, but it was still wonderful in its own way, and by Grover's face of awe she figured he felt the same way.

She linked up arms with him, and the two were avidly slapping each other when they saw something cool (which was frequently, if you must know).

They only had to walk about a mile to the arch, and every step had Raven's anxiety increasing tenfold. According to Annabeth, the St. Louis Arch was 630 feet tall. That's about 629 feet too high for the girl's comfort.

But her only options were to stay at the bottom, which would then make her vulnerable for any and every monster the city held, or go up to the top and suffer from severe fear of heights.

She would have to ride to the top.

Fuck the Underworld. This is hell right here.

And yet, as she and her friends wondered closer and closer to the elevator at the end of the museum entrance, her nervousness was making her bounce off the walls.