Chapter 18

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang makita ko kung paano hinahambalos ni Ruelle ng manipis pero mahabang stick ang mga kamay ni Cornelia. Faye was just crying behind Cornelia apologizing and begging for mercy.

I'm restraining my anger that I grit my teeth and lock my jaw too much. My nails are now even buried in my palm. 

I compose myself. Noble people lost the war once they lost their composure.

"What is going on here?" I calmly entered though I was burning up with rage. I need to rationalize things first. I'm not going to be biased if Cornelia is in the wrong place.

Faye was shocked to see me but Cornelia just turned her gaze down. Napatingin ako sa kamay niya, it must be beaten several times already. 

"Their owner must not taught them how to properly run their mouths." Lady Ruelle's gaze sharpens as it reaches me. She seems to have her reason to be enraged.

"Your hands are with bruises now Lady Ruelle. I will punish them accordingly." Tiningnan ko ang isang maid na mukang under kay Ruelle. Nakuha naman siya sa tingin at agad na lumapit kay Ruelle para sana kunin ang stick pero maging siya ay nahampas nito sa muka dahilan para magkasugat ang tagapagsilbi.

"Ha! I don't think you can Duchess. You're more naive than I thought you'd be." she scowled.

"May I at least know the reason you're punishing my servant Lady Ruelle?" 

"Are you questioning my judgment here?" She glared. Napabuntong hininga nalang ako. Dasha warned me about this lady's behavior and bad temper.

"Yes, I am."

"What? You dared-" 

"Whatever the issue of this household is mine to handle and is now under my jurisdiction. The Duke has permitted me so. I hope you understand. Now, what did my servant wrong you?" I asked with my authority.

"How can he take a lowly woman as his wife. Tsk. I will never accept you no matter what you do." madiin niyang sabi saka humakbang palapit sa akin. Ngayon na magkaharap na kami ay klaro ko nang nakita ang muka niya. Her face became stoic and darkens even more.

"Be careful. I might send you back to your trash life." her voice lowered as he gave me those glaring eyes.

I smiled.

"I will take that as a warning. Thank you for being considerate." 

Binangga niya ang balikat ko nang dumaan siya. Sumunod naman din agad ang mga tagapagsilbi niya sa kanya. Nabura ang ngiti at naging blangko ang muka ko. 

I can see that she doesn't like me that much. She was not even taken aback by my position in this house. I guess she will be hard to deal with in the future and that's troublesome.

"Duchess! I apologize! This is all my fault!" Faye said with her crying face.

"I am sorry Your Grace..." said Cornelia. Nakayuko pa din siya at mukang hindi niya gustong makita ko ang muka niya ngayon. The proud Cornelia that I know, now looking like a wilted flower.

"Tell me what happened." Baling ko sa dalawa.

"Lady Ruelle's servants that she brought along into this manor badmouthed-they discriminate against the Duchess, I tried to defend your Grace but..." Faye said hesitantly. How come she looks like a kitten right now? 

"They caused her these bruises." Inangat ni Cornelia ang kamay ni Faye. Namumula iyon, someone might have tightly held her and scratched her forearm. She even got the side of her lips bleeding.

"They can humiliate us, threaten and hurt us but I can't stand those b*tch*s mortify the Duchess I serve. So I repay their insult to their Lady and she happened to be there and heard us." Sabi ni Cornelia na pinipigilan ang galit niya.