22. Recruitment

* * * May 10 * * *

The sun was low in the sky by the time Light arrived at the most recent hotel to house the Task Force's headquarters. A frown was evident on the teen's face as he entered the elevator. His father had called him earlier to come and analyze a diary page that the second Kira sent to Sakura TV to be broadcast and all he could do was hope that moron didn't give too much away again.

Upon entering the suite Light saw the group on the far side of the room. L was sitting near the coffee table while Light's father stood next to him. Matsuda and Aizawa were standing on the other side of the table, the former looking like he was hiding something again.

This must be another test, he reasoned.

The brunet's eyes narrowed slightly at the two large screens behind the group. The screen on the left had a white background with the black letter "D" written in the same font that was used for the fake Kira messages. The one on the right had the colors inverted and had "Coil" written on it in a font very similar to the one used by the Robin Hood Hacker.

These must be the other people L said were working on the case, he deduced. "D" must have recorded the message. Coil could be Robin Hood, though it could just be for show as another part of the test.

L smiled at Light as he gestured to the screens. "We will be having two other detectives helping us today, Deneuve and Eraldo Coil. We received a diary page that the second Kira wants to broadcast and I would like your opinions – yours too, Light."

As L picked up a piece of paper, the corners of Light's lips tugged into a frown. The last thing he sent clued L into the existence of shinigami. That dumbass is going to get me caught if he keeps pulling this crap.

L turned to the screens and asked, "Can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," Deneuve's mechanical voice answered.

"Yes," replied Coil using an automated voice.

L smiled. "Then we will begin. The second Kira sent a diary page from May of last year. The entry for the first says 'Already told a friend that I don't want to go to the festival in GW High School, but I got an invitation anyways.'

"May 4th: 'Went to the Super Arena with friend to see a concert.'

"May 5th: 'Last day of the break, nothing to do at home.'

"May 7th: 'School started, but I asked friends to take notes for me in class and I rested at home.'

"May 10th: 'Refused friends' invitation to a party. Yokohama is too far.'

"May 13th: 'Friend came to borrow my CD and I lent it to her.'

"May 16th: 'Forgot to do paper, so I copied from a friend.'

"May 19th: 'I haven't read Jump for a while. It's so interesting.'

"May 22nd: 'Met with a friend in Aoyama and looked at each other's notebooks.'

"May 23rd: 'Met with that guy in the school café again. He ate pork curry.'

"May 26th: 'Went shopping with friends in Shibuya and bought summer clothing.'

"May 28th: 'A new Playstation can out! Have to check it out!'

"May 30th: 'Saw shinigami at the Giants game in the Tokyo Dome.' And that is the last entry," he finished.

L must be thinking that he wants to meet up on the 30th at the Tokyo Dome since the word shinigami is mentioned, but he must really want to meet up on the 22nd in Aoyama, Light realized.