- Your father. – he spoke and I nodded biting my lower lip to hold the tears. I explained everything to my mate, my whole life.

My dad died when I was barely even years old. He was the most loving dad in the world. He would spend hours with us, just playing and making us laugh. Luke and I were pure perfection in his eyes. There's not a day I didn't feel loved by him. I can still remember his warm arms around me, carrying me everywhere. His soft kiss on my forehead before going to sleep. His laughter...

He was my number one fan in the entire world, so proud of me no matter what. Even when I became a healer at six, he always encouraged me to follow my dreams. It didn't matter that the entire pack said I was destined to be a healer, for him, I'd become the next Beta in Command. When he died everything went to shit. Of course, the pack helped, they would often come and bring food, make sure we were okay, and keep company to us, but the void my father left was too big. My mother was a disaster, she tried holding on as best as she could for us, but it was hard for her. Luke was freaking out; he didn't understand what was happening. So, I had to do the mature thing and take care of him. I learned to cook to help my mother and make sure Luke was eating properly.

- Maya, you were just a kid. You had to grow up so fast, you didn't let yourself mourn. – he says looking at me with sad eyes.

- I can't... – I say, and he looks confused. - The elders said that my emotions were more intense than usual wolves because I'm a healer. So, after that day, I promised myself not to let myself not to let anyone hurt me like that again. – I explain.

- That's not healthy. –

- It's the price I need to pay because I'm a healer. – I say.

- But you don't have to do it anymore. I'm here, okay? I have your back, no matter what. – he says, giving me a small reassuring smile.

I nod, leaning in and kissing him on the lips. They are so soft and tasty, they lift me. I swear that every time we kiss, my feet don't touch the ground. It's like my mind goes blank and I feel so light and at peace with myself; the pain in my heart, and the pressure on my shoulders goes away, nothing else matters. This is the feeling worth fighting for, the feeling of my mate.

- I can't let you go. – he whispers as our lips part and our foreheads are still connected. – So, I'll go with you. – he adds just before I say something.

I put some space between us so I could look him straight in the eye. His brown eyes are staring back at me with so much love in them. Did I hear him correctly? I know we discussed this before, but we never decided anything definite on the subject.

- What? – I say, baffled.

- Your pack needs you and I'm not stupid enough to believe for one second that Alaric will let you go just like that. There's no way he'll hand over a healer. – he speaks calmly, and I stare at him expectantly. – Even if he did, I know you well enough to know that you don't want to leave. –

- Jake... – I say, but he interrupts me

- Your pack is important too for you, I understand. – he says.

- But what about your mom? – I ask, remembering how close they are.

- I'll talk to her, but right now and forever, you are my priority. There is no way I'll let you go back there alone. I'm coming with you. – he speaks seriously, his heartbeat not faltering.

- Are you sure? – I ask, both relieved and mortified for making him leave his life here at River Valley.

- 100% percent. –