Chapter 16: Well....

Charlie's POV:

I fucked up. Nick was so overstimulated by everyone pulling him in different directions, the screaming, and the violence. i feel awful and i all i do is cry. i curl up on the kitchen floor and cry. I hear my daughter calm herself down so i pull myself together and go to get her.

Charlie: "Hey honey, are you okay?"

Colette: "fine papa..."

She's sitting on the floor with a toy and half naked.

Charlie: "can we talk about what happened with daddy?"

Colette: "i want play toys"

Charlie: "yes, but you could've started playing after you got changed."

Colette: "yeah but play now!"

Charlie: "well you really upset daddy"

Colette: "sorry..."

Charlie: "it's okay he went for a walk so he'll be back soon. for now let's get clothes on"

She nodded and stood up.

(After a few minutes)

colette and i are downstairs and i pull out my phone to text nick

Im sorry baby. You know i love you so much and i didn't mean to make you overstimulated. Come back when you're ready and we'll talk more tonight. Thank you for using coping skills btw, i'm very proud of you.💗💗

11:27 AM

Nicks pov:

I'm sitting in the garage like a child. sobbing my eyes out and trying my best to pull myself together but i can't. So i do the second most childish thing, i call my mom

(on the phone)

Sarah: "nicky? i'm going to be there in 5 minutes, why are you calling?"

Nick: "mummm..."

Sarah: "oh nicky, what's wrong?"

Nick: "charlie was yelling at me....(deep breath) and colette was yelling at me...(deep breath) and i don't know what to do and then....(deep breath) i just broke down and now i'm in the garage..."

Sarah: "I'm only 2 minutes away, baby. Why was charlie yelling at you?"

Nick: "his ocd was...(deep breath) going off and he...(deep breath) wanted me to clean up the counter...(deep breath) and the dishes"

Sarah: "Darling, i want you to take real deep breaths please. Let's use our 4-4-4 method."

I breathe in for 4, hold for 4, and breathe out for 4. I hear her doing it too.

Sarah: "I'm here, and i'm opening the garage."

I see her standing there putting the code in and i just watch. Finally she comes in and i stand up and just hug her and tightly as i can.

Sarah: "you know that it's okay to have these feelings. And charlie maybe shouldn't have yelled at you, but next time let's try to use the communication skills. It'll make it easier to talk about your feelings. Until then, let's book a newer appointment with your therapist and have lunch with charlie. You guys can apologize and everything will be okay."

Nick: "I like that..."

Sarah: "I know I'm a genius."

I chuckle slightly, write a brief email to my therapist and set a reminder to call later that day.

Sarah: "Alright, let's go have some lunch."

I nod, stand up, and help mum up. I think to myself all the times people have called me a mamas boy and now that it think about it, i guess i am. I mean im a 28 year old man who called him mum when he had a mental breakdown. God, i'm so pathetic.

We walk inside to see charlie and colette sitting at the table coloring. I walk up to charlie, hug him from behind, and whisper-

Nick: "i'm sorry"

Charlie: "I'm sorry too."

Colette: "sorry daddy..."

nick: "it's alright. why don't we have lunch and share some good news with mum."

Mum was next to colette and she looks at both charlie and i confused.

Sarah: "News?"

Charlie: "Well..."

He looks at me unsure what else to say so i turn around and grab the sonogram pictures from the counter, giving them to mum.

Sarah: "is this...?"

Charlie: "I'm pregnant!"

He stands up and mum hugs him.

Sarah: "Finally!! more grandchildren!!! How far along are you?"

Charlie: "only a month, though i look a lot bigger with two!"

Sarah: "Two?? ITS TWINS?!"

Nick: "Even bigger surprise!"

She laughs and we continue to discuss names, bedrooms, and what they might look like. God, i'm so lucky to be with charlie.